No flames, but...

For general and site related discussion.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

Which of the following ownz j00?

AmigaOS4
No votes
OS 3.x
71%
OS 2.x
No votes
OS 1.x
18%
MorphOS
6%
AROS
No votes
TOS
No votes
Microsoft Windows
6%

Total votes: 17

MrTickle

No flames, but...

Post by MrTickle »

Who am de best?

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I had to go for 3.x

Reasoning:

OS1.x surely had more WOW value for me,
but its not something i use on most of my amigas anymore (only on my a500 for compatibility)

OS4.0 doesnt exist yet :) (Well.. it hasnt been demo'd - only screenshots etc) - and its not on sale yet

Windows smells of poo

I use os3.x on most of my machines and it has lots of nice features :)

etc

MrTickle

Post by MrTickle »

BuZz wrote:I had to go for 3.x

Reasoning:

OS1.x surely had more WOW value for me,
but its not something i use on most of my amigas anymore (only on my a500 for compatibility)
True. I picked 1.x because its what I remember from when I first saw an Amiga, and I was so impressed with the thing...
BuZz wrote: OS4.0 doesnt exist yet :) (Well.. it hasnt been demo'd - only screenshots etc) - and its not on sale yet
Aye, but does that stop people claiming its the best thing since a really good thing thats very good? :)
BuZz wrote: Windows smells of poo
Yes.

reed

Post by reed »

Yeh I just had to answer 1.x. Nostalgy value and all that.

Btw...
BuZz wrote:Windows smells of poo
You guys better watch out, cos if some scat fetish freak finds this forum, he's gonna vote for Windows :D

Akira

Post by Akira »

3.x for me, though 2.x was great too...

I don't have nostlgia for 1.x being a 2.05 A600 my first Amiga :)

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

BuZz wrote:Windows smells of poo
reed wrote:You guys better watch out, cos if some scat fetish freak finds this forum, he's gonna vote for Windows :D

It's strange... but my wersion of Windows dont smell's like poo.. and I woted for windows Image
.. but sometimes it suck tho'..

kyz

OS 3.x

Post by kyz »

And when I say 3.x, I mean 3.0. 2.0 was fucking fantastic, and the biggest leap up ever - especially because they made GadTools, ASL and the Amiga Style Guide, which is the most important thing! All good user interfaces have a standardised look and feel. 3.0 made a fantastic thing even better with DATATYPES, the one most important thing. We had to admit that IFF ILBM/8SVX/ANIM was not the only multimedia out there. Datatypes did it the RIGHT way, by identifying the contents of the file, not the stupid-ass way of memorising file extensions. Also, it was the first OS to actually have AmigaGuide and the Installer bundled with it for free, previously you had to license those from Commodore.

I actually got a free copy of 3.9 for my XAD work, but I still need 3.1 ROMs for it... softkicking won't do, as I also need to run move4k so shapeshifter works. Does anyone know where to get cheap ROMs that actually work (i.e. not ebay)?

Oh, and if it was on this poll, I would've voted for Linux... Dave Haynie said "it's not the hardware, it's the OS", but he's wrong - it's the hardware. However, I say "it's the coders". Coders are what make or break a platform. The reason I still love Amiga not just for nostalgia is because of the development environment and stuff like XAD. People just aren't writing that for the PC Windows coders are 99.999% all idiot lamers. Amiga coders were 10% idiots. Linux coders are about 20% idiots in my opinion - there's some really exciting stuff being made, it's especially cool seeing people reverse engineering chipset drivers and things like that, and Linux has the best thing about programming -- you get all the source code! Kernel, drivers, graphics, video/audio codecs, emulators, web browser, filesystems, compressor -- everything! It's just a shame there's no real demo scene on Linux, and they're all still PC scene swines who ain't handing out any sauce, even though they nicked it themselves. But I digress. Linux = teh roxor, definately a very close second to Amiga.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

What cpu card do you own ?

If it has an mmu surely you can use a mmu kick utility alongside move4k ?

kyz

Post by kyz »

BuZz wrote:What cpu card do you own ?

If it has an mmu surely you can use a mmu kick utility alongside move4k ?
I have the Apollo 1230. Actually, I just looked at the latest MMULib and it seems to include a little softkicker, which is something Thomas previously said he would not do. I'll try it out.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

kyz wrote:I have the Apollo 1230. Actually, I just looked at the latest MMULib and it seems to include a little softkicker, which is something Thomas previously said he would not do. I'll try it out.
Also, isn't there an apollo softkicker which supports blizkick modules on Aminet ? There is an MuMove4k module for blizkick but I know you can use MuMove4k it alongside blizkick anyway although Blizkick uses the hardware rom remapping functionality of the p5 cards so....
Last edited by BuZz on Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PseudoDOS

Post by PseudoDOS »

i am using linux + uae + 3.1 and sometimes windows xp pro. winuae will probably properly work soon. also i still own my functional a500 mentioned in my amiga story within the thread on how we came to amiga.

and yes, amithlon has been great. :cry:

shd

What about UNIX?

Post by shd »

Where is the UNIX option? Don't say UNIX users can't play Exotic songs:)

shd / uade team

kuran

Post by kuran »

Mac OSX surely.