PC2Amiga and Windows XP

For general and site related discussion.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

Coma

PC2Amiga and Windows XP

Post by Coma »

Since Google has absolutely no information about this...

I need to transfer data (a bunch of dms-files wanted by Zeg, actually) from the A1200 to the PC (running WinXP). The Amiga has no network card so PC2Amiga must be used. It worked nicely in Win98, but not at all in WinXP. Has someone got this to work? Is there any other software that could use the parallell ports? Or, even better, could the Amiga harddrive be connected to the IDE bus of the PC and accessed in some way?
Through UAE perhaps? Or will I have to use floppies... gah! :(

zeg

Post by zeg »

What about to use some tcp stack on the amiga? Miami or amitcp?

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Some transfer Methods:

Fastest/Easiest (If you have a few meg of ram in the a1200)

Put a pcmcia ethernet card in the a1200 and use miami as zeg suggests.
you can easily then run an ftp server on the pc side or use mountsmbfs and copy directly to a share.

A null modem cable with a terminal program should also work, although not that slow. there are custom tools to work with a null modem cable also like "amiga trans" and others

Coma

Post by Coma »

Yes, those methods would work, but I'd rather make it work without having to get extra hardware (or install Linux, which was another suggestion...). Besides, I had a 3com PCMCIA card at home, but it was one of few that Miami didn't support. I found a program called ADFview that claims to be able to let Windows use Amiga harddrives, but when I install the disk in the PC and set it as master, the BIOS sees it, but Windows won't boot at all, and when I set it as slave, it is invisible both to the BIOS and Windows.

Bah, I hate hardware. Hardware should be emulated! :wink:

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Coma wrote:Besides, I had a 3com PCMCIA card at home, but it was one of few that Miami didn't support.
It may well now be supported. Miamidx doesnt support any pcmcia cards directly. it supports any sana2 device. recently a network driver for 3com pcmcia cards was released

3c589.device is a SANA-II network driver for 3Com Etherlink III PC Cards
(PCMCIA cards). Note that not all 3Com cards work with this driver, and that
some compatible cards are rebranded by other manufacturers. See the
documentation in the archive for a list of compatible cards.

http://www.aminet.net/aminet.cgi?string=3com

KeMoT

Post by KeMoT »

What about connecting HD to PC and using WinUAE :?:
The brave ones own the world...

Coma

Post by Coma »

I tried that once, but the machine wouldn't boot at all with the Amiga disk connected... and even if I got that to work, I would now rather have the Amiga permanently connected to the PC network. I didn't care about it for a couple of years but now that the interest has awakened again, I'm about to get ethernet for the Amiga.

KeMoT

Post by KeMoT »

Strange... disk is disk, no mattter 2.5 or 3.5 it should work... it might sound silly but have you checked Amiga disk's jumper settings :?: ( master/slave/cable select ) :?: have you tried connecting it to the second IDE channel on your PC motherboard :?:
The brave ones own the world...