WinUAE and Amiga IDE-HD

For general and site related discussion.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

vektron

WinUAE and Amiga IDE-HD

Post by vektron »

Concerning my Amiga data built up in more than a decade, I'm a very careful guy :wink: . Now that I'm sick of transferring all the stuff via nullmodem cable to my ... Arghhh ... yes PC, I heard of the possibilty to let WinUAE handle a real Amiga HD. Fine, it's time to burn and backup all my data on CDs. But I discovered that some folks have problems with Windoze killing the RDB :shock: . Is that possible? How do you folks store your Amiga stuff for "infinity"?

Keep the scene alive!!!

Firthy2002

Post by Firthy2002 »

Hmmm...I know Windows XP has a tendency to poke where it doesn't belong and screw things up. (From personal experience, I'm glad I had some CD-RWs to hand that day)

If you're using Win 95/98/Me it will probably just look at the drive, perhaps point out that you should format it, and then just leave it be.

However Win 2000 and XP could either:

Do the above

-OR (Probably more likely with XP)-

Launch into FDISK and happily reformat your drive for you, ignoring your obscenities and insults as it works.

Mind you these are only speculative outcomes, I've never tried using a drive in an "alien" format with Windows before.

Like you said do a backup before you try anything.

If it works and you do get WinUAE to recognise your drive please do tell us and also say which version of Windows you're using as I would be interested in doing this myself, as I'm sure it would be a lot faster than using hardfiles.
-=Firthy2002=-
----------------------
My Blog