ExoticA as a Wiki

For general and site related discussion.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

BuZz
Site Admin

ExoticA as a Wiki

Post by BuZz »

I've been playing with the idea of having exotica running mostly as a wiki with some databased areas on top (like unexotica).

I need some advice on wiki systems..

First of all moinmoin, nice name, read it's fast. Uses per page attachments. (Python)

MediaWiki (Runs wikipedia), not as fast, uses a global file library. Proven to work with large amounts of data. (php)

I currently have been messing around with a mediawiki install running on a little virtual server of mine. not looked much at the actual code, but it has a lot of features.

The file attachments is an important part.. having a single upload library means files must all have different names. But it also means pages can share images/files, which on a large site like exotica could be useful.

I've read that mediawiki's code isnt that great though, and needs more powerful hardware, but its written in php which I know a bit about.

What are your views.. anyone here got some wiki experience ?

Coma

Post by Coma »

Sounds like a great idea. I can't give any advice concerning the backend, but I would certainly contribute to a wikified Exotica whenever I could.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I've also ready some good things about phpwiki.

It's annoying they all have different markup syntax, and features.
Which to use...

heres a comparison

http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/Media ... in+PhpWiki

[edit]

one feature I noticed about mediawiki is it supports section editing. If for example scenery was imported into the wiki, editing one group at a time would be better than an entire page.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Another thing that may or may not be important.

Access control lists. Basically, so that you can have groups of users. some which can access one area some who could access another.

I Personally don't think this will be needed. Pages will either be
editable or not.

If we did need this kind of functionality, the mediawiki would be the wrong choice as it doesn't take this kind of approach.

zeg

Happy New Year

Post by zeg »

Happy new year!