New Amiga Hardware

For general and site related discussion.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

Tankshell

New Amiga Hardware

Post by Tankshell »

Probably old news to everyone here...but just in case, check out the following link,

> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/1 ... ad&tid=138

"If you like using your Amiga and the Amiga OS then you will be amazed by the AmigaOne and OS4. Now - at last - you can buy the first new all-new Amiga to be delivered for a generation!"

Hooray! :)

Bye.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Bearing in mind this is labelled an Amiga but currently has nothing to do with the Amiga we all know and love. The AmigaOne is a teron board from Mai which will have some hardware protection installed and then shipped with a mostly PPC version of amigaos (Which isnt finished).

To me the Amiga is more than just the OS. It wasnt its OS which made me buy my Amiga. It was the graphics,demo,games and music.

I suppose if you want to run AmigaOS apps on outdated and overpriced PPC hardware then the AmigaOne is a good solution. Not my cup of tea. Neither will I be getting a Pegasos PPC Board.

MrTickle

Post by MrTickle »

BuZz wrote:Bearing in mind this is labelled an Amiga but currently has nothing to do with the Amiga we all know and love. The AmigaOne is a teron board from Mai which will have some hardware protection installed and then shipped with a mostly PPC version of amigaos (Which isnt finished).
I agree, but that doesn't mean I won't get an AmigaONE. My A4000 won't stop working, but the AONE will give me a much faster machine to run YAM, IBrowse, play mpegs and mp3s, etc. on top of a native AmigaOS. I want that. It won't make me appreciate classic Amigas any less, infact my A4000 will still get a lot of use for Protracker etc.

So there ner!

PseudoDOS

Post by PseudoDOS »

is that amiga one hardware really outdated? pegasos outdated? are there newer and faster ppc? how is these speeds compared to amd duron 1000mhz?

amiga os is the fastest os. is 4.0 also?

what does that hardware protection? can other boards be used? maybe foreign, as mai is japanese, are they? are there ppc alike or compatible cpu from other manufacturers that can be used?
regards, chasmodai