Hosting change and new exotica

All news regarding the website or the forum will be posted here. This will include website updates, features and anything else considered suitable. Only Forum Moderators may make new posts here, but all registered users may reply.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz, menace

BuZz
Site Admin

Hosting change and new exotica

Post by BuZz »

ExoticA will be moving from the totem.fix.no machine in Norway to a machine managed by myself. The new server will be online at the end of the week, and the site will be moved soon after.

The new address will be http://www.exotica.org.uk
You can already use this URL as it currently points to the hangar18 mirror.

By managing my own server I will have more freedom to make changes as needed. In addition to this the new server is a bit exotic. Infact i doubt many people have referred to them as servers before :-)

It's one of these! (Running linux)

The server will be hosted with http://www.mythic-beasts.com who will be sponsoring the bandwidth (I will be paying £200 a year which would normally get 5gb bandwidth. I will also be paying for the cost of the mac mini and setup fees £434). This will mean the bottom of each page will have a link to their site. There will also be an additional about page detailing the hosting setup.

The new wiki based exotica site is already in development. This will allow everyone to contribute to the site if they want. It will also make the site easier to manage, and will sport a new look!

Please feel free to post your views :-) (positive or negative)

Coma

Post by Coma »

Cool. 8)

XtC

Post by XtC »

Coma wrote:Cool. 8)
Coma: A man of many words! ;-)
Cheers!

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

Well, you know it gets my :tup:

Sad to say, with all the new changes planned, it was starting to feel a bit constrictive on the old server.

Such is life. And the new server rocks!
Cheers!

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Of course, this does make me a bit of a mac wanker!

To borrow a smiley from the yakyak forum...

Coma

Post by Coma »

(reading the co-lo-company's price list)

Damn, bandwidth seems expensive in London. Whenever I move there (some day it will happen) I suppose I won't be hosting Modland at home anymore...

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Bandwidth is expensive but you can get cheaper is you shop around (Although it may be less reliable)

Check out http://www.poundhost.com
(They do £50 a month for 300gb co-location in Maidenhead)

But it's still quite pricey compared to many other countries.

If you move to London though, you can probably get a fast(ish) line to your home and host it there.

I emailed mythic-beasts about the hosting as I already have a virtual server hosted with them, and the service is good. They also seem to be nice friendly geeks rather than your nasty corporate types :-)
Last edited by BuZz on Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

An example: You should be able to get at least 8mbps connection in London with at least 512kbit upstream for around £30 a month.

XtC (not based in london) has 10mbps cable with an upstream speed of 512kbit.. so you could serve files at 50k a second. Many ISP's have fair use policies though or limits. (Like 75gb a month)

Coma

Post by Coma »

512 kbit upstream for £30 a month sounds reasonable enough, but the monthly limit would become a problem. I pay about that price now for roughly 800 kbit upstream (and about 14 Mbit downstream... I would gladly trade it for a symmetrical 2 Mbit line) but with no nasty limits. That means the server could at most output 250 GB a month. Using 512 kbit instead cuts it down to about 160 GB, but that would still put me in the top part of most co-location pricelists... and way beyond any ISP limits. I guess I would have to go for co-location and install some speed limiter that ensured I didn't get a sudden invoice for 10000 excess gigs at £0.85 each... :)

Modules - they go like hot cakes! Or however that expression goes...

(and sorry for hijacking your thread :wink: )

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Coma wrote:512 kbit upstream for £30 a month sounds reasonable enough, but the monthly limit would become a problem. I pay about that price now for roughly 800 kbit upstream (and about 14 Mbit downstream... I would gladly trade it for a symmetrical 2 Mbit line) but with no nasty limits.
Not all the ISP's have limits though. UKOnline offer 8mbps (and are trialing 22mbps) with 768kbit upload and no limits. They do however block ports 80/8080/25 so no web server hosting. You would also have a dynamic IP i guess. But you can always run stuff on different ports and use dyndns.org :-)

That means the server could at most output 250 GB a month. Using 512 kbit instead cuts it down to about 160 GB, but that would still put me in the top part of most co-location pricelists... and way beyond any ISP limits. I guess I would have to go for co-location and install some speed limiter that ensured I didn't get a sudden invoice for 10000 excess gigs at £0.85 each... :)
And many charge more than £0.85. Most places charge also on combined incoming/outgoing traffic. Mythic-beasts charge on which is biggest (outgoing/incoming)
Modules - they go like hot cakes! Or however that expression goes...
:-)
(and sorry for hijacking your thread :wink: )
you will be :lol: