Sountracker missing link...

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

Fraggie

Sountracker missing link...

Post by Fraggie »

Hello there,

While fixing up a quick Sountracker plugin for XMPlay (Windows), I found myself very confused with the "M.K." id. Could anyone here explain in what circumstances was this mark added?

Soundtracker 2.2 (by Michael Kleps aka Unkown/DOC) doesn't support 31 samples and doesn't put the "M.K.". SoundTracker 2.3 (by Mnemotron) supports 31 samples and puts the id. Now why would Mnemotron put "M.K." initials when extending the format to 31 samples?

Furthermore in ST2.2's scroller we can read: "now the d.o.c news ! 1. the next soundtracker is finished ( 31 instruments ) , but only for internal use !!" while ST2.3' doc states that "This Soundtracker is based on the MasterSoundtracker V1.0 by TIP/PROPHETS and mainly on Soundtracker V2.2 by Unknown/D.O.C" and that "Modifications by D.O.C: (...) Extension to 31 Instruments".

As you see there is a link missing between ST2.2 and ST2.3... Does this mean that there is another Sountracker 2.2 that supports 31 samples and puts "M.K."? Or maybe ST2.3 was made by Unknown who then gave the sources away to Mnemotron? Why would he? And why Mnemotron hadn't changed it for example to his initials, if he was the one to release this 31 sample milestone?

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

I don't know the answer but here is a brief overview.
Cheers!

Fraggie

Post by Fraggie »

Thanks, but this won't help me much. The list is full of errors.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

From what I remember unknown of DOC did the first version supporting 31 instruments ? Are you sure ? You can also find various references to this around the net.

Please send in your corrections for that page.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

If you read the docs for 2.3 it refers to the 31 instrument update being made by unknown/doc.

Fraggie

Post by Fraggie »

I'm certain that Unknown has done the 31 sample stuff (evidence: scroller, docs and the initials), but the question is in which version has he done that.

It looks like Soundtracker 2.2 was the last one from Unknown, but it doesn't handle 31 samples (only announces it in the scroller). Next Sountracker release is supposed to be Soundtracker 2.3 by Mnemotron, which saves 31 samples. Docs for this release say that it's based on Sountracker 2.2. So, Mnemotron must have got the (unreleased ?) enhanced Soundtracker 2.2 (mentioned in the scroller as the tracker "for internal use" by D.O.C.).

So there must be two ST 2.2 versions. But I can't prove this as I can't find this "internal" version anywhere. Now, the one who wrote the Tracker History says his Soundtracker 2.2 handles 31 samples. Maybe that's the one I'm looking for?

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

According to the docs, soudntracker 2.3 has changes from unknown and mnemotron. I can only assume that either unknown gave him some newer sources to mnemotron with the additional stuff (Or perhaps they even worked on it together a little?)

Code: Select all

Soundtracker V2.3 - A Quick Clarification.
------------------------------------------

Update         : April 1989.

Update done by : MnemoTroN.

Instructions   : Tracer and Unknown of D.O.C / Based on J.C.-Instructions
                 MnemoTroN.

Modifications by D.O.C:
-----------------------

A sample sort function
                Corrected 'DisplayPattern' routine
                Corrected preset-editor
                Improved record function
                Extended keymap (Sonix style)
                Pattern play function
                Delete Song function in the dos menu
                Improved ANALYZER
                Pattern changing during play
                Pattern break command
                Position jump command
                Sample zero function
                New playroutine for use in demos/intros/games
                Improved graphics (colors,styling,font)
                Nice scrolling
                Animated mousepointer
                Directory Sort function
                New Colors for the Analyzer
                Extension to 31 Instruments

Modifications by MnemoTroN:
---------------------------

Scroll-Line removed
                Animated Mousepointer removed
                Extended DOS-Window
                Key-Help-Page
                Nice 'Sure?'-Requester
                Reinsertion of Length-,Repeat- and RepLen-Gadgets
                Lowpass-Filter is switched off
                Load Module
                Save Sample
                Format Disk
                Clear Song
                and some small details that must not be mentioned here

zeg

Soundtracker 2.2 / 2.3

Post by zeg »

Unknown have given the sources to Mnemotron.
Unknown have added the 0-31 sample system in soundtracker 2.2 (M.K. = Michael Kleps)
Well, Mnemotron made the updates and spread the new Soundtracker 2.3 with-out the permission of Unknown. He was not amused about it. But it was already too late.

Well, there is a funny counter for Soundtrackers.
DOC, Unknown of DOC's Soundtracker have got numbers like Soundtracker I, II, III and so on. And he also made the soundtrackers v 2.xx.
I think Unknown released 8 different soundtrackers of this I,II,III...VII type.
Last edited by zeg on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

zeg: but soundtracker 2.2 documentation makes no mention of 31 instruments ? This isn't mentioned until 2.3 Have you loaded the problem and checked ?

zeg

Post by zeg »

BuZz wrote:zeg: but soundtracker 2.2 documentation makes no mention of 31 instruments ? This isn't mentioned until 2.3 Have you loaded the problem and checked ?
Moment, i will ask Mnemo right now. wait a minute.
Sorry, he is not around right now.
We have to wait. :)

zeg

Post by zeg »

BuZz wrote:zeg: but soundtracker 2.2 documentation makes no mention of 31 instruments ? This isn't mentioned until 2.3 Have you loaded the problem and checked ?
well, right. But unknown have given the complete, unreleased soundtracker 2.2x (31 sample) version to Mnemotron, and he fixed it up and spread it around as new Soundtracker (2.3)
well, it is not complete. But here is the first step. http://kestra.exotica.org.uk/series.php?id=125

Fraggie

Post by Fraggie »

Zeg, thanks a million for clearing this up!

mnemo

Post by mnemo »

Hey all.

Just stumbled upon this discussion and wanted to clarify.

Unknown gave me his Soundtracker source at CeBIT '89 (I think). That version already had the "M.K." mark in it and I saw no reason to change that. In the following weeks and months I added some stuff to it, together with a few friends of mine who made suggestions and one of them created some of the graphics, including the mouse pointer that was used in most versions from then on. The version got released as V2.3.

Some months later (or was it even at the next CeBIT?), I met Unknown again and he said that he had instructed me to not release the Soundtracker he gave me. I really couldn't remember him having said that, but as you all know, that's history now, the format had already spread. At least then, he didn't seem to be angry or anything, but I still had a bad conscience about this whole affair - from his point of view it must've been an awful abuse of trust. Of course, the change from 15 to 31 instruments is something probably anyone could've made, but there you go.

And all that happened 18 years ago. Sigh. :-)

Cheers,
MnemoTroN

zeg

Post by zeg »

Welcome * Mnemotron * on the exotica world! Thanks for the perfect information.

mnemo

Post by mnemo »

You're welcome, zeg. Thanks for your enthusiasm in all things Amiga!