uade 0.80-pre1 released

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

shd

uade 0.80-pre1 released

Post by shd »

uade 0.81-pre1 has been released. It's now possible to play over 150 amiga formats (including eagletracker custom songs) on morph os. Harry "piru" Sintonen ported uade for morph os.

uade is a portable open source / free software player for various operating systems (mainly unix operating systems). Runs on many different processor: x86, sparc, mips, alpha, ppc, parisc, and probably others.

http://ee.tut.fi/~heikki/uade.html

to download this directly:

http://ee.tut.fi/~heikki/uade/pre/uade- ... e1.tar.bz2

morph os binaries can be found by following links from the web site.

changes relative to 0.73 are:

- a new supported platform: morph os
- better song end detection for (octa)med
- code cleanups
- enhanced (sub)song switching mechanisms
- changed (sub)song switching policies
- more intuitive xmms plugin settings
- solaris compilation and configuration fixes
- stonecracker crunched art of noise support

See changelog for more detailed explanation.

Heikki Orsila (uade maintainer)
heikki.orsila@ee.tut.fi
--
uade team

kyz

Re: uade 0.80-pre1 released

Post by kyz »

shd wrote:uade 0.81-pre1 has been released.
No it hasn't, 0.80-pre1 has been released. I just downloaded it today and nearly wet myself when I saw this notice -- another release within a day? But no. Anyway, good job done boys! It's really come on leaps and bounds since 0.73 (the last version that anyone bothered to package for debian). 0.73 wouldn't even play prorunner tunes and complained a lot about uaerc being missing. And of course it's good at decrunching powerpacked files ;-)

shd

Re: uade 0.80-pre1 released

Post by shd »

> No it hasn't, 0.80-pre1 has been released.

Sorry about that. At least I got the subject of the posting correct;)

> It's really come on leaps and bounds since 0.73 (the last version that anyone bothered to package for debian). 0.73 wouldn't even play prorunner tunes and complained a lot about uaerc being missing. And of course it's good at decrunching powerpacked files ;-)

This is very odd since:

- uade has played prorunner songs for a very long time: uade 0.30 has that support (released at 2001.08.18): 0.73 plays prorunner songs just fine
- we have not modified prorunner support since 0.73
- we don't have a clue how you have 'lost' uaerc if you have followed installation instructions in INSTALL file.. Furthermore, we haven't had bug reports about that
- we have not changed installation procedures since 0.73

Why didn't you report these problems when 0.73 was released?-)

I can think of situations where prorunner isn't recognized properly. It depends a lot on the configuration you have, and if the songs are packed. Consider these:

- have songs unpacked (packed songs are pain in the ass for many reasons)
- wipe out configuration settings from previous uade versions by editing ~/.xmms/config and remove the uade section: configurations of uade versions are forward compatible as far as I know but earlier settings may not be good for later versions
- see how settings have changed in 0.80-pre1. Settings in 0.80-pre1 reflect more of those settings we the developers use.

Playing of these sound formats is a very tricky thing, so we have a lot of configurable things in our program. Some good features are turned off because users wouldn't expect such behaviour from the program. Forget clean, simple and perfect world, this is the real world where every level is messy.

PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS with uade, let us know so we can try to fix those issues. BUG & PROBLEM reports are very important. The more you report bugs & problems the better;)

Heikki Orsila (uade maintainer)
heikki.orsila@ee.tut.fi