SOAMC= The Amiga to MP3 preservation project

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I used to add a small banner to the bottom of game box scans - but not overwriting any of the original image. However, this was changed with the new site, as I felt it unnecessary and it didn't fit in with the new site. I also remember there was a site called the legacy which took scans from us, removed our banner and placed a watermark with their url OVER the image. That I could never understand. But you just hope that the majority of people just give credit where due and don't feel the need to do such things.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

A quick note - Eagleplayer with its default players does not always play everything perfectly - although the wanted team players are very good. Some stuff might work better on delitracker - which also has its own share of problems.

I like the video though. You should get a selection of mirrors sorted for your collection to help with bandwidth, and perhaps organise some other distribution methods - torrents etc.

Oakvalley

Post by Oakvalley »

Yeah, the players was a little bit tough to put together. I scanned a lot of old stuff, delitracker stuff, eagleplayers stuff, wanted team stuff, uade stuff to find the one that worked. This also said, I used the DeliPlayer on PC to calculate the songslenths and yes, even that one ejected some players and fucked things up where the Amiga Eagleplayer and Delitracker didn't...so it was a real pain. Switched a lot between players. But, 90% of the stuff is hopefully correct for the exotic formats.

I also made it so that only the needed player was loaded into Eagleplayer when recording in a specific format. Thank god for Arexx!

Spellcoder

Re: SOAMC= The Amiga to MP3 preservation project

Post by Spellcoder »

Oakvalley wrote:Hello all,
During the last year I've been preparing for the even more insane project than the C64 project. I intend now to record 105757 Amiga tunes to MP3. The project covers 153 different Amiga formats... Note: ALL Amiga oriented modules from Exotica, Modland, AMP and the MODS Anathology CD's are in the recording queue as we speak!!
Awesome !! =D
It will be great to be able to listen to those old tunes on my mac as they originally sound on the Amiga. Also being able to download mp3s of my ahx tunes would be fun too :P.
SPeLLCoDER (_NiCeGuY_)

asle

Post by asle »

Oakvalley wrote:And, did you sweep over the movie I made for the SOAMC= recently?

You can see it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brFLSz66ULM
First a Amiga oriented introduction, calm and relaxing, the speeds it up with VD_Love music with real footage of the hardware in action. Yes, I will remove the AMP credit too at the end.
Hello,

Just to be clear on one thing. Crown is not AMP, nor AMP is Crown. If you contact him for AMP matter, well, you got his answer and that's it. If you want an AMP team point of view, you should contact Curt Cool, Monty and myself too.
Ok, that being said, you're entitled to your opinion about Crown, but please, not AMP. Just don't mix them, thx.

Now, if you'd have asked me about mass downloading AMP, I would have told you "no" for the same reasons as this boring dlink window thing. The way AMP is physically stored makes it we _CANT_ allow mass download for bandwidth reason. If we use too much, we'll close down. It's as easy as that. We would have found another way to collect them for you and store them for an easy grabbing. I guess it's meaningless now, as Coma has also quite an impressive collection :) (Hi !).

It's obvious that all that is downloadable today is public. No AMP copyrighted material in there, as we simlpy can't moraly hold any copyright. Aside the few "please no spread" musics, not downloadable, all is free, of course. And we don't claim copyright either for the ones that are not spreadable.

Well, all this to show that there's really an AMP team. Please, just don't forget that if you happen to have a question related to AMP.

Good luck with your project.
Sylvain
Sylvain "Asle" Chipaux

Coma

Post by Coma »

I only get timeouts on that video on Youtube (while other clips are working fine), and the link to the highres version seems dead... well, I'll try it again tomorrow!

Oakvalley

Post by Oakvalley »

@Sylvain

Ok, I understand. I guess I only found two email addresses on AMP and to me it seemed they were the one to contact. I sent email to both maybe back in Dec 2007, but after some weeks there were no response. Yes, so I actually made a script and downloaded ALL you had on AMP.

But it does not matter anymore, cause I used Modland as a backup source for the modules and they are already present in the database and in the recording queue.

@Coma
About the videos? Hmm, they work fine on YouTube. Also, note that the HI-RES version is downloaded from our website through port 40000. I tried today and the file is there and could be downloaded.

Could you try this:
http://soasc.dirtcellar.net/
and try to download a MP3? If you get no page here at all, port 40000 must be blocked for you for some reason. I have the same problem at my workplace, they blocked the port.

Coma

Post by Coma »

Today everything works fine, so I guess the moon was in the wrong phase yesterday...

(I have that same Arnold poster 8) )