Warning about Andreas Magerl and APC-TCP

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

BuZz
Site Admin

Warning about Andreas Magerl and APC-TCP

Post by BuZz »

So, in 2005 I got an email from this guy Andreas Magerl (Who owns/run APC-TCP) about some music we host in the unexotica section. The letter said we did not have permission to host the files for which they owned copyright. I replied that I would remove them if requested, but Andreas replied that it was ok to continue hosting them as he liked our page.. To quote him
but i like your work. in our news
we report sometimes from your page. can you add a little text at the music page from our games? example (c) by APC&TCP, dont spread on other pages, ftp and so on?
We complied with this request. and everything was ok.

Then yesterday, I get an email from the company I co-locate my server with asking me to contact Andreas regarding a copyright violation accusation. Here is the mail I was forwarded
hmm, why you hosting our music and broken our rights?
http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/1990_-_D ... er_Edition
http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Jaktar_-_Der_Elfenstein
http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Marblelous

remove now the illegal files from your server!

Andreas Magerl
What annoys me about this is the fact he contacted my hosting company directly. This is surely the actions of a trouble maker rather than someone wanting to enter into some dialogue regarding the files. He claimed he did this due to not finding an email link for me on the main site. I admit there isnt an obvious mail link on the wiki, but there is a multitude of ways to contact me. He knows perfectly well I'm on English Amiga Board and amiga.org etc, as he has taken my news posts from their and replicated them on his own amiga-future news site.

I can only come to the conclusion that there is something "wrong" with this guy, and he is out to cause trouble. Funnily enough searching for his posts on forums does show some strange behaviour. He also recently posted about getting hold of some old games. I see that he treats other peoples copyright different from his own!

Anyway - the last mails swapped with him are him stating he would not have given permission without telling me to add a readme inside the archives (but as you see what he said above - his memory is not so good). And he is telling me now I must do this if i want to host them.

To be honest, I just don't like this guys attitude, and am considering just removing the archives and replacing with a comment why they have been removed. Also, it might be worth me contacting the musicians involved, and checking if Andreas M does indeed hold the copyright for their music. Or perhaps I'll just do nothing.

What are your views on this ?

Also note that I have never received similar complaints from any other company/individual. Infact, all other contacts have been positive, with musicians and companies thanking us for the archive.

alexh

Post by alexh »

Sounds like a total looser.

It is obvious to anyone that exotica is a non profit website. (It's not like you are selling these things as phone ring tones or anything).

I can understand forgetting emails from 5 years ago, but 2? And once you send him his old email back he doesn't recognise it?

Try to contact the musicians, see if they can provide a side-band license. That would really piss this guy off and give you a fuzzy warm feeling inside.

If you look at his site, http://www.apc-tcp.de/

Unlike other musicians/game companies, in the last 10 years he's not moved on, he's still an Amiga vendor. I would imagine that other people see their old work as nostalgia now enjoyed by others, this guy sees it as property to own and sell.

He seems to be somehow associated with Amiga-Future. These guy's were seriously asstunnels to the BBoAH and tried to steal ownership from Ian and Mario!

AndreasM

Re: Warning about Andreas Magerl and APC-TCP

Post by AndreasM »

BuZz wrote:He claimed he did this due to not finding an email link for me on the main site. I admit there isnt an obvious mail link on the wiki, but there is a multitude of ways to contact me.
Thats the problem, i dont found a contact adress on your page and i use the next contact adress what i found on the page. that was the adress from your hoster.
He knows perfectly well I'm on English Amiga Board and amiga.org etc,
i dont know which username you use and on which boards you are online.
as he has taken my news posts from their and replicated them on his own amiga-future news site.
NO. i dont have take news post from you from the EAB or Amiga.org !!!
Anyway - the last mails swapped with him are him stating he would not have given permission without telling me to add a readme inside the archives (but as you see what he said above - his memory is not so good). And he is telling me now I must do this if i want to host them.
in the last mails i say sorry to you!

i get more as 2.000 emails every month. i cant renember all emails.

AndreasM

Post by AndreasM »

alexh wrote: Unlike other musicians/game companies, in the last 10 years he's not moved on, he's still an Amiga vendor. I would imagine that other people see their old work as nostalgia now enjoyed by others, this guy sees it as property to own and sell.
right, we are active on the amiga and release new software....
He seems to be somehow associated with Amiga-Future. These guy's were seriously asstunnels to the BBoAH and tried to steal ownership from Ian and Mario!
[/quote]

What?

Ian and Mario ask me to handover the BBoAH.

On http://www.amiga-hardware.com you found the statement from Ian.

Mario make us many, many trouble and in the future i dont have anything to do with the BBoAH.
I have the gate and board open, but nothing more.

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

BuZz wrote:
He claimed he did this due to not finding an email link for me on the main site. I admit there isnt an obvious mail link on the wiki, but there is a multitude of ways to contact me.
AndreasM wrote:
Thats the problem, i dont found a contact adress on your page and i use the next contact adress what i found on the page. that was the adress from your hoster.
Maby the easyest way to get a hold on buzz, was to post a thread someware in this forum...

Or even easyer: when you have bothered registrating: send him a PM!
-- you cant escape Muerto --

alexh

Post by alexh »

AndreasM wrote:What?

Ian and Mario ask me to handover the BBoAH. On http://www.amiga-hardware.com you found the statement from Ian. Mario make us many, many trouble and in the future i dont have anything to do with the BBoAH. I have the gate and board open, but nothing more.
It is all hearsay but the way I heard it was:

Ian handed over the control and ownership of BBoAH to Mario not AmigaFuture.

Mario then chose to use AmigaFuture as a portal to his new BBoAH website he even changed all the colours Eurgh!. (That is why the link on Amiga-hardware.com points to a AmigaFuture website.)

Mario said to me "the leader of the Amiga Future has tried to take over control of BBoAH without my permission".

Not nice.

On a side note, BBoAH will hopefully evolve. I still do contributions to the old database and hopefully it will become a wiki later this year allowing the site to grow with quality user contributions.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Could merge with ExoticA as a wiki platform if they wanted? :)

AndreasM

Post by AndreasM »

alexh wrote:
AndreasM wrote:What?
It is all hearsay but the way I heard it was:

Ian handed over the control and ownership of BBoAH to Mario not AmigaFuture.
Hmm, read the (complete) statement on Ians Page... "The Big Book of Amiga Hardware will be officially maintained by 'Amiga Future' in conjunction with Mario Misic."
Mario then chose to use AmigaFuture as a portal to his new BBoAH website he even changed all the colours Eurgh!. (That is why the link on Amiga-hardware.com points to a AmigaFuture website.)
Read Ians Statement, please.
Mario said to me "the leader of the Amiga Future has tried to take over control of BBoAH without my permission".

Not nice.
how we can takeover when all data are on the server from Mario?
On a side note, BBoAH will hopefully evolve. I still do contributions to the old database and hopefully it will become a wiki later this year allowing the site to grow with quality user contributions.
we invest many time, money, search devloper, make contract with a php-developer and after x not asnwer phonecalls and emails i get a very nice email from mario...

my english are to bad to write details. when you have a translater than can i send you the complete BBoAH Story in german...

Galahad

This is bullshit!

Post by Galahad »

I would like AndreasM to explain how Volker Trips music (aka Jester / Sanity) is YOUR copyright.

I would like you to provide proof, because I think you are a fraud.

No smart arse answers, I just want you to provide proof that Volkers work is now your copyright....

AndreasM

Re: This is bullshit!

Post by AndreasM »

Galahad wrote:I would like AndreasM to explain how Volker Trips music (aka Jester / Sanity) is YOUR copyright.

No smart arse answers, I just want you to provide proof that Volkers work is now your copyright....
i would only that the copyright notice add into the archive. but ok.

1990-93, 94, 95 Edition
Developer-Team Contract 14.9.1992, 23.6.1993, 11,5,1994, 27.4.1999

Marblelous
Devloper-Team Contract 26.9.1994 and 14.2.1996

Jaktar
Developer-Team Contract 4.8.1995 and 13.10.2002

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Wheres the proof?????

Give us a scanned image of the copyright documents pertaining to these games and everything within them.

AndreasM

Post by AndreasM »

Galahad wrote:Wheres the proof?????

Give us a scanned image of the copyright documents pertaining to these games and everything within them.
and which right have you that you think you can see our contracts?

and why you dont ask the webmasters that you would like see their contracts, too?

kyz

Re: This is bullshit!

Post by kyz »

Galahad wrote:I would like AndreasM to explain how Volker Trips music (aka Jester / Sanity) is YOUR copyright.

I don't know the details for this particular case, but I would assume most minor game musicians give away their copyright.

You can assign copyright to anyone you want. Most commercial games are either done by employees of a company, which makes their work a "work for hire" and the company automatically gets the copyright, or if contractors are used instead of employees, the contracts often require the copyright to be assigned to the company (and the contractor agrees to it).

Companies (and their investors) like it when they own full copyrights to all game assets, and get very jittery if they don't.

kyz

Re: Warning about Andreas Magerl and APC-TCP

Post by kyz »

However, adding a note to the archive would be easy and keep us sweet if Andreas insists on it. We're entirely dependent on the people who actually own the copyrights to the music not getting angry and suing us. Most copyright holders don't mind, but we do have to respect the wishes of those that do.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Kyzer: I pressed the wrong button and edited your post instead of replying. I think I put it back how it was but im not sure 100% Please check.
However, adding a note to the archive would be easy and keep us sweet if Andreas insists on it. We're entirely dependent on the people who actually own the copyrights to the music not getting angry and suing us. Most copyright holders don't mind, but we do have to respect the wishes of those that do.
My problem is that he might again change his mind in another 2 years, and decide on another rule - and send another nasty email to my hosters!. His email to me before stated specifically about adding a copyright text to the page. Nothing at all about the archives.

Numerous other people have had run ins with this guy, and to be honest, I want to just steer clear. He is trouble.