RJP1 - Informational changes

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

bolloxim

RJP1 - Informational changes

Post by bolloxim »

I would like to update information on RJP1. I noticed exotica hasn't been updated in awhile either. Authors are Andi Smithers and Alan McCarthy. I sent in an email many years ago with information on how the project was created. However it seems the name got changed in the move to wiki.

I have sources still for RJP1 both editor and players. I've not checked them out in years either, and considering I almost lost a ton of discs recently due to burst water tank. Is there anyone holding a code depository for old players?

There are also some other interesting weird music facts on players for richard, I wrote for richard an amiga protracker/soundtracker et al converter to Sega Genesis/Megadrive. :) We created FM Audio samples on the amiga using FM waveform generation from the sega genesis. Created audio on amiga. Ran the data on the genesis.

fun times

-andi

BuZz
Site Admin

Re: RJP1 - Informational changes

Post by BuZz »

bolloxim wrote:I would like to update information on RJP1. I noticed exotica hasn't been updated in awhile either. Authors are Andi Smithers and Alan McCarthy. I sent in an email many years ago with information on how the project was created. However it seems the name got changed in the move to wiki.
Which name got changed ?

the current page for this is at

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Richard_Joseph_(format)

feel free to edit and add any additional information

BTW when you say exotica hasnt been updated in a while, where are you looking because the site has been under heavy development most of the year

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/News

I have sources still for RJP1 both editor and players. I've not checked them out in years either, and considering I almost lost a ton of discs recently due to burst water tank. Is there anyone holding a code depository for old players?
would be very interested in this.
we have some sources on the ftp (ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/exotica/de ... e/replays/), but it hasnt been fully organised yet and needs an update too. But if you upload some stuff to incoming we can get it accessible from the wiki. (ftp.exotica.org.uk/incoming/exotica/). note that some of the links are broken on the richard joseph page as they need repointing to the new locations. this is the same for all our formats pages and it is on my todo list
There are also some other interesting weird music facts on players for richard, I wrote for richard an amiga protracker/soundtracker et al converter to Sega Genesis/Megadrive. :) We created FM Audio samples on the amiga using FM waveform generation from the sega genesis. Created audio on amiga. Ran the data on the genesis.
please do add this to the corresponding page, you could add some information to his personal page too

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Richard_ ... (composer)

I've been after the editor for Richard Jospeph 's music for years so would be very interested in any code/binaries. When I met RJ some years ago he sayd he would try and dig this stuff out for me, but unfortunately never happened. (and then the sad news about RJ)

bolloxim

Post by bolloxim »

I have updated the page, I'll be searching for my sources and something to rip the code, its on a floppy called RJP1 err might be only copy too doh! :)

I heard about Richard's passing from Jason Page, another audio genius. We were just talking about times and he had no idea he that I didn't know he passed the month before. So, we got hammered that night drinking to his memory. By hammered, we were still at it at 6am in the morning there were a bunch of us, but I cant remember much now, apart from all the toasts. I think at one point we ran out of beer, so we walked to a 7-11 for more, well crawled i think.. This was at a san francisco sony conference a couple years ago...

I totally enjoyed working with him, good times back then :)

-andi

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have updated the page, I'll be searching for my sources and something to rip the code, its on a floppy called RJP1 err might be only copy too doh! :)

I heard about Richard's passing from Jason Page, another audio genius. We were just talking about times and he had no idea he that I didn't know he passed the month before. So, we got hammered that night drinking to his memory. By hammered, we were still at it at 6am in the morning there were a bunch of us, but I cant remember much now, apart from all the toasts. I think at one point we ran out of beer, so we walked to a 7-11 for more, well crawled i think.. This was at a san francisco sony conference a couple years ago...
I don't know how the name change happened. Thanks for the correction.

Jason Page is a nice bloke. met him a few times in the past. Was it a good conference ? (So you are working for Sony also?)

If the sources are on an Amiga disk and you don't have a machine set up to extract the information, I would be happy to do this for you if you post it to me. Let me know. I also have a dev setup on my Amiga, so I can build any binaries if they are missing.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Jeez, I forgot about that night (the part where you ran out to find more beer..Didn't we then just sit in the hotel reception and drink it all? ...It was actually my birthday as well. The following day *wasn't* easy to get through!)

Still feel a little bad about how I told you about RJ though. Unfortunately, it was similar to how I found out: Someone just kinda told me like it was old-news / matter of fact style.. Sorry I did the same to you.

Anyway, it was good meeting you over in San Mateo anyway, mate.

RJ passed away nearly 2 years ago now. Recently, Jon Hare wrote an artical about Sex Drugs & Rock'n'Roll, which is very interesting:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sex-n ... ll-article

From there, you can download the soundtrack..Although, to quote directly from Jons text in that post:

"Finally, the decision to give away this soundtrack has been made in honour of Richard's death, so that people can appreciate some of the great work that he was doing behind closed doors. To this end, we would invite you to download the first half of the Sex 'n' Drugs 'n' Rock 'n' Roll soundtrack now (tracks should be played continuously without pauses in between) and to make a donation to the Cancer Charity as a mark of respect to my dear and very much missed friend Richard Joseph."

Donations can be accepted here:

http://www.justgiving.com/jonhare

As you can see, RJ is still very close to a lot of peoples hearts.

Cheers
Jason

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Any news on the RJP source code/editor etc? if you want any help getting the data off any Amiga disks (If you nolonger have an amiga etc), I am happy to help.