YM modules and converting and such

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

Coma

YM modules and converting and such

Post by Coma »

Not really Amiga music, but...

I just got hold of a lot of YM modules. When looking closer at them I saw that they all are packed with LHA. When I unpack them they become quite a bit larger (from 500 bytes to 30k, or from 2k to 90k, for example). When looking at the file it looks very redundant (thus the great pack ratio) and it begins with the string "YM5". The YM modules I already had before all begin with "YMST" and are probably internally packed since they are really small. Does anyone know more about the different YM formats and if they can be converted to one another? I would really like to avoid adding LHA packed modules to my collection...

deli

Re: YM modules and converting and such

Post by deli »

Coma wrote: I just got hold of a lot of YM modules. When looking closer at them I saw that they all are packed with LHA. When I unpack them they become quite a bit larger (from 500 bytes to 30k, or from 2k to 90k, for example). When looking at the file it looks very redundant (thus the great pack ratio) and it begins with the string "YM5".
YM mods (files that begin with YM2...YM6) are not really mods, but AY-8910/YM-2149 register dumps. Those dumps can grow quite large because every access to the AY/YM hardware is logged into such a file. To reduce the size, the YM files are Lha compressed by default. Usually there's no need to unpack them because almost every YM player unpacks the YM files at load time.
BTW - we recommed to download the YM files in their native (unconverted) form, e.g. as SNDH module (http://sndplayer.atari.org/) because these files usually will have a better playback quality, especially if SID voices are used.
Coma wrote:The YM modules I already had before all begin with "YMST" and are probably internally packed since they are really small. Does anyone know more about the different YM formats and if they can be converted to one another? I would really like to avoid adding LHA packed modules to my collection...
YMST(MYST) files are totally different. These files are real mods (many of them contain replay code, similar to SNDH files) and are usually not compressed.

---
The DeliPlayer team

Coma

Post by Coma »

I see! Thanks for the info!