GPMO Packer

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

asle

GPMO Packer

Post by asle »

Hi,

So, Muerto sent me this music demo with GPMO packed musics. First, the disk is crypted and I was not able to uncrypt it. So the rip was done in memory. This is important to note because I'm not sure this GPMO is stored on the disk.
Now, This musicdisk is very much alike the Megamix's of Kefrens. i.e. it always has two music at the same time in memory so that the replaying doesn't stop. In this case, the musics are very small and ripping them all in memory can turn out to be mindbombing !. I've sent you but a few examples Muerto. Sorry.
About the musicdisk : Code by Tax. Crunch player by Tax & Twm, musics by Jail (Jakob Langgaard).
Last music by The White Noise. It was released at TCC93 by Gnu Design. Name of the prod is Skizzo Demo 2.
About the so-called format (GPMO). It's absolutly the same as Protracker save for :
- 4 extra bytes at the beginning being the whole file size
- M.K. being replaced by GPMO
- volumes in sample desc are *2

That's it.... That's the reason why I really would like a disk rip instead. I tried what I could but I'm really not enough skilled for that.. Debugging 68k is somewhat too hard for me :(.

I'll see to have a complete (memory) rip but that wont be easy. I've added this GPMO into Prowiz4PC .. if someone wants to give it a try ... :)

Regards,
Sylvain
Sylvain "Asle" Chipaux

kyz

Re: GPMO Packer

Post by kyz »

asle wrote:That's it.... That's the reason why I really would like a disk rip instead.
simple directory listing, sector data EOR'd with "SmII", files packed with GNU Packer 1.2 or something called "OBJT".

Here's the disk extractor and the unpacked mods. http://kyz.mine.nu/misc/skizzo.lha

asle

Post by asle »

403 Forbidden
The requested URL '/misc/skizzo.lha' resolves to a file that is not world-readable.

:)
Sylvain "Asle" Chipaux

kyz

Post by kyz »

asle wrote:403 Forbidden
The requested URL '/misc/skizzo.lha' resolves to a file that is not world-readable.

:)
Er... try again.

asle

Post by asle »

got it. Thanks !. I'm reading the read_dir.c and it's indeed not that hard .. . Anyway, it seems there's another packed format in there. I'll see that :).
Thanks again for your help !.

Regards,
Sylvain
Sylvain "Asle" Chipaux

asle

GPMO format

Post by asle »

After Kyz help, I must amend the format desc I posted earlier.
so, It's the same as Protracker save :
- M.K. replaced by GPMO
- Volumes *2 in sample desc

(no more 4 extra bytes in the beginning :).

That's it.
Thanks again, Kyz, for your help.

Sylvain
Sylvain "Asle" Chipaux

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

Yiiir baby!! you guys are amazing!!!!!, now we only need a player for those GPMO mods (DeliPlayer)!!!!

Best Regards to:

Asle & Kyz!!!!!!

Muerto
-- you cant escape Muerto --

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

any news about the last module in the demo?? new player!!!

kyz

Post by kyz »

Muerto wrote:any news about the last module in the demo?? new player!!!
I don't recommend a new player at all, it would be like having a deliplayer for Promizer or The Player... it's a protracker pack format.

I've ripped the player code and worked out all the details of the format except for the sample compression. If Asle would like to take what I've got and make something for his pw4pc that will convert the track data into protracker patterns, I'll work on the details of the sample compression, which can finally be added to unpack the sample data.

http://kyz.mine.nu/misc/GnuPlayer.lha

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

403 Forbidden

The requested URL '/misc/GnuPlayer.lha' resolves to a file that is not world-readable

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

kyz wrote: I don't recommend a new player at all, it would be like having a deliplayer for Promizer or The Player... it's a protracker pack format.
... ok, not a new player, but a add on player like... Wally Beben or Whittaker..

Muerto

kyz

Post by kyz »

Muerto wrote:403 Forbidden

The requested URL '/misc/GnuPlayer.lha' resolves to a file that is not world-readable
Gah, I keep doing that.

I added the information about the samples as well, so anyone can make a complete decoder for this format.

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

hmm, i think theres somthing wrong with the packed file... cant unpac it :(

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

... and is it ok if i forward the source to the DeliPlayer developers??

asle

Post by asle »

kyz wrote: I've ripped the player code and worked out all the details of the format except for the sample compression. If Asle would like to take what I've got and make something for his pw4pc that will convert the track data into protracker patterns, I'll work on the details of the sample compression, which can finally be added to unpack the sample data.

http://kyz.mine.nu/misc/GnuPlayer.lha
Hi there,
Sorry to be late :). I didn't see before today I was asked to do something :) (email !!). Anyway, I've dl-ed this .lha and I've worked hard to include this format into PW4PC. Now, it's done.

off-topic sentence : new source of PW4PC which includes this depacker is available here : http://asle.free.fr/prowiz/

Here's the depacked music :
http://asle.free.fr/0.zip

now, some remarks about this format. First, I find the output (volume) pretty poor (read low). Next, it's fairly safe to say there wont be any other example since there can be but one note possible and but two tracks. Hum .. also these effects that pack themselves one after another is extremly disturbing. This module uses this feature only for Set Speed and Set BPM at the same time .. so two tracks do the trick. My converter doesn't go farther than that.
Some1 tell me if something's wrong :).

Regards,
Sylvain
Sylvain "Asle" Chipaux