crc errors!

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

Fraggie

crc errors!

Post by Fraggie »

Hello. These files can't be unpacked because of CRC errors.

Brooke_Jason/World_Darts.lha/Custom_Version/cust.World_Darts
Daglish_Ben/Rick_Dangerous.lha/Alternate_Custom_Version/cust.Rick_Dangerous
Lopatic_Thomas/Detonator.lha/bss.hiscore
Lopatic_Thomas/Katakis.lha/bss.loading
Lowe_Dave/Ralroad_Tycoon.lha/Custom_Version/cust.Railroad_Tycoon
Mrsic-Flogel_Janko/Fireblaster.lha/jmf.Fire_Blaster
Mrsic-Flogel_Janko/Space_Station.lha/jmf.Space_Station
Strauch_Florian/Ice_Runner.lha/sid2.hi_score
Gehrmann_Holger/Boulder_Dash.lha/spl.Boulder_Dash
Gehrmann_Holger/Clever_and_Smart.lha/spl.Clever_&_Smart
Gehrmann_Holger/Graffiti_Man.lha/spl.Graffiti_Man

Please fix.

XtC

Post by XtC »

You haven't indicated what you are using to extract the files. :?

If you are using Windoze it is recommend that you use WinRAR to extract the archives. If you still get errors, you should ignore them as the files should still extract sucessfully...
Cheers!

Fraggie

Post by Fraggie »

Thanks. You're right, WinRAR complains about CRC errors, but the files look indeed okay. However it still bugs me, why even LhA archiver (the one from Stefan Boberg) doesn't unpack the files. Can you please tell me, what program should I use not to get any errors? What program do you use to pack the files? And any idea why just these files make problems? :)

kyz

Post by kyz »

Fraggie wrote:Can you please tell me, what program should I use not to get any errors? What program do you use to pack the files? And any idea why just these files make problems? :)
Well, if you use DeliPlayer, add the LhA files directly to your playlist and you don't get errors. Alternately, unpack the LhA files and close your eyes when the CRC errors appear.

The files are created with Amiga LhA 2.1, based on Amiga LhA 1.x by Stefan Boberg. Boberg's LhA shouldn't report CRC errors. The CRC method used is that of Amiga LhA, not PC/UNIX LhA. There are minor differences in the algorithm. I know, it's confusing, but we're too lazy to fix it and we can't just use UNIX LhA until it starts supporting Stefan's "Amiga special" (i.e. wrong) way of handling filecomments.

Fraggie

Post by Fraggie »

kyz wrote: Well, if you use DeliPlayer, add the LhA files directly to your playlist and you don't get errors.
Actually, I get skulls (with 2.0b1). :)
kyz wrote: Alternately, unpack the LhA files and close your eyes when the CRC errors appear.
The files extracted with WinRAR look okay, but are not 100% correct, when you compare them with those extracted with Amiga LhA!
kyz wrote: The files are created with Amiga LhA 2.1, based on Amiga LhA 1.x by Stefan Boberg. Boberg's LhA shouldn't report CRC errors.
Well, it does. So does LhA 2.1! It's really interesting. When you extract files like this: "lha x #?.lha" you'll get CRC errors on all those archvies I mentioned (that's what I did in the beginning), exept the one which came first (whatever it was). You have to unpack the files one by one - like this: "lha x fireblaster.lha". This way you won't get any errors. Strange, isn't it? It doesn't happen on any other archive on UnExoticA, so - you see - the files ARE fishy.
kyz wrote: The CRC method used is that of Amiga LhA, not PC/UNIX LhA. There are minor differences in the algorithm.
I believe it's not the CRC calculation issue. I've tested this: I've got different CRC16 values with the Amiga LhA and the PC one, and the programs accepted each others calculations. The whole CRC checking stuff would be useless if it wasn't that way. (And LhA 1.38 calculates CRC the same way as 2.1 and it's archives are extractable anywhere.)
kyz wrote: I know, it's confusing, but we're too lazy to fix it and we can't just use UNIX LhA until it starts supporting Stefan's "Amiga special" (i.e. wrong) way of handling filecomments.
Well... Just use LhA v1.38. It produces whole-world compatible archives (and it doesn't compress any worse than 2.1). It looks like (I may be hell wrong) Jim Cooper somehow broke compatibility with Lempel-Ziv-Huffman/Welch (or whatever) algorithm, and the bug just came out now/here... (?)

So, if you want to fix the archives, you just have to repack them with LhA 1.38.