Samples and Editors

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

SkyMarshall

Samples and Editors

Post by SkyMarshall »

Hey!

I'm relatively new to these forums, so if I put this post in the wrong category - feel free to correct me accordingly.

Anyways, I am an "old timer" when it comes to producing music of various genres, generelly making trance-remixes and upbeat versions of old slow songs, game music and/or movie-scores.

But now, I got a new project going on - Project Nostalgia - and it is going to be a long compilation done in trance/dance/d'n'b with my favorite melodies from various games I've played growing up. [Lemmings, Monkey Island, Another World, Lotus 2, Battle Squadron, Chrono Trigger, Lost Patrol in Vietnam and possibly Turrican and Toonstruck]. It is going to be a rather long remix, done mostly in CuBase with external equipment like NordLead, and with the sound of todays trance-tunes.

Anyways, I want to keep the old sound ofcourse, preserving the nice feeling I get when listening to the originals, and therefore I need samples. Chiptune samples and the samples in general.

So my question is:

- Is there any samples databases out there?
- Is there any editor which I can alter the songs and extract samples? Like FastTracker, Impulse Tracker, ProTracker and so forth.
- Any ideas on how to get those samples at all?

Best regards,
Eirik Hafskjold
SkyMarshall Arts

XtC

Re: Samples and Editors

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

Welcome to the forum!
SkyMarshall wrote:- Is there any samples databases out there?
- Is there any editor which I can alter the songs and extract samples? Like FastTracker, Impulse Tracker, ProTracker and so forth.
- Any ideas on how to get those samples at all?

I've no idea how user friendly PC trackers are, since I've never used them. If you still have an Amiga and want to exploit tracker MODs for samples or even pattern data, then OctaMED Sound Studio is ideal. It works for me, though I'm melodically challenged - ask BuZz! :wink:

If you no longer have an Amiga, you could still do this on a PC through emulation. Hopefully, you've heard of WinUAE?
Cheers!

SkyMarshall

Post by SkyMarshall »

Thank you ...

Well, yes I do own an amiga - altough it's thousand of miles away from where I live atm. I am very familiar with amiga trackers and editors and so forth, since that is where my career in music all began - though I am totally outdated in this scene now. Altough I'm an experienced musician in CuBase and so forth, this doesnt help me at all in this particular case.

So - if you could give me a "Amiga samples'r us for Dummies vol.II" tutorial here, I would be real happy.

What I am looking for is a program that works on a PC, can edit amiga/c64 "modules" (or whatever they are called - sid?) and extract their samples and/or convert them to other formats that are more commonly used in other editors these days. A program that runs in Windows with a Windows interface would be appreciated. Another option is VSTi plugins that covers the entire sample library used in old games.

Any ideas or suggestions is mutch appreciated.

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

For C=64 related stuff, you would probably be better off asking here...

http://remix64.phatsites.de/

...unless someone on this forum knows better?

I can help with providing specific instruments from Amiga games or Amiga demos, within reason.

Probably easier to provide them than to explain how to obtain them... :wink:

Amiga synth (chip) instruments may be harder to obtain.

Hopefully, your list isn't too big?!?
Cheers!

SkyMarshall

Post by SkyMarshall »

The problem is that I dont really know what to ask for, or what to get. But all samples that hva similarity with old and loved ones would help alot. I can ofcourse create old sounds from todays synths, but that never gets the same quality as the originals got. Midi sounds too clean, and Steinberg synthezeisers sound to good, if you no what I mean.

But if you would be so kind as to send me some/or all of the samples you are talking about, I would really appreciate that.

skymarshall@whinerz.com <- will do the trick!

- SkyMarshall

XtC

Soundtracker Instruments (aka ST-00, ST-01, etc.)

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

I've converted a basic set of instruments that came with the original Soundtracker editor. They are in WAV format now.

They're available here.
Cheers!