Newbie questions

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

SlipstreamTraffic

Newbie questions

Post by SlipstreamTraffic »

I am completely new to Amiga music, so be gentle with me. :)

Is it at all possible to convert music from DW files into MOD files (or other music files)?

Also, I've tried using the Mod-ripper in WinFellow with little success (as I basically have no idea of what I'm doing). Could anyone give me a few pointers at how to get started?

Thanks. :)

XtC

Re: Newbie questions

Post by XtC »

SlipstreamTraffic wrote:Is it at all possible to convert music from DW files into MOD files (or other music files)?
Since you're using Windows, perhaps you should install DeliPlayer. It can happily play David Whittaker files.

As far as converting DW files to MOD. Possible, but not really practical. :wink:

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

Hey!!

You can find the latest DeliPlayer (1.3, but a 2.0 is comming really soon now) on: www.deliplayer.com

Best Regards

Muerto

To BuZz -> Is there anyone there are making new players of tracker clones to the amiga anymore :?:

Regards Muerto

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

or maby i should ask XtC bout that.. :D

Regards Muerto

XtC

Post by XtC »

Muerto wrote:or maby i should ask XtC bout that.. :D
Well, it's what I'm here for! :wink:

Don Adan is still writing new players, creating custom tunes and ripping music. Try his site...

:arrow: http://amiga.emucamp.com/wt/wt.html

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

XtC wrote: Well, it's what I'm here for! :wink:

Don Adan is still writing new players, creating custom tunes and ripping music. Try his site...
hmmmm, i did know that site, but on the main page i this printed:

....player sources or old Amiga demos/games (before the year 1990) with nice (non-tracker) music :(

Regards

Muerto

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Muerto wrote: hmmmm, i did know that site, but on the main page i this printed:

....player sources or old Amiga demos/games (before the year 1990) with nice (non-track

Well. This statement is not entirely true. There are players for Chiptracker / Protracker / and others there :)

SlipstreamTraffic

Re: Newbie questions

Post by SlipstreamTraffic »

Since you're using Windows, perhaps you should install DeliPlayer. It can happily play David Whittaker files.

As far as converting DW files to MOD. Possible, but not really practical. :wink:
I've been using Deliplayer, but I just prefer MODs.

As for not being practical, is this because DW files can have different tracks on them? For example, the file for Wonderboy in Monsterland has 17 tracks. So would that mean 17 MOD files? Because that doesn't bother me. :wink:

Akira

Post by Akira »

Deliplayer has support for MODs that have subsongs too (like the Pinball tunes), so it's not that, but some features of certain players are just NOT possible with Protracker... And trackers that have synth instruments generated within them would be shite if you convert them to MOD (you would have to resynthesize the instruments in some otehr way or something)...
Another good example of MOD conversions sucking is if you try to convert a TFMX tune. And I'm talking about a 4-channel TFMX tune. It still would suck because lots of TFMX's functions are not implemented in Protracker and the like.

It's always MUCH BETTER to stick to the real thing. Why would you preffer mods? Only reason I can find is if you use the lame Winamp or Modplug to play them.