Help Choose the Name...

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

XtC wrote:a) Memory ripped - a useful but lame method, which I'm guilty of using if all else fails. :wink:
?? .. why is memory ripping lame??, it is THE best way to get the modules in the format those coders spend so many hours to get to work...! .... hmmm, then im a lame ripper to.. but :WGAF: .. im happy to have the ARTE music in Noise Runner Format :D

Muerto

XtC

Post by XtC »

Muerto wrote:why is memory ripping lame??
Once the module is loaded into memory anything can happen to it!

It's nice to rip the modules before any game or demo code gets a chance to modify them.

:WGAF: :?: WE do. :wink:

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

Ok then.... but without memory hunts, no one would ever be aware of the following formats:

Noise Runner
Polka Runner
Polka Packer
Pru Runner (V1)
.. did i miss some?? :roll:

Muerto

(yes of course, if you was really good at assembler, you could depac the whole demo, and then discover, the replay-routine did somthing to the module before it was played..)

kyz

Post by kyz »

Muerto wrote: I thought that you would keep the modules in that format they are in, in the demos (the mods in the ARTE demo is in Noise Runner format, but they have converted them back to protracker.... why???)
Da freak Muerto
That's the format they're in on disk. Try it yourself with the READ_SOS tool on Aminet, or the XADMASTER system (also on Aminet) using the command "xadunfile DARC Arte.dms RAM:" or "xadunfile DIMG Arte.adf RAM:", then decrunch the mod files with XFD.[/code]

kyz

Post by kyz »

Muerto wrote:Ok then.... but without memory hunts, no one would ever be aware of the following formats:

Noise Runner
Polka Runner
Polka Packer
Pru Runner (V1)
People are aware of those formats because the coders released replayers for them, promising less CPU utilisation than the standard protracker replayer.
Muerto wrote:(yes of course, if you was really good at assembler, you could depac the whole demo, and then discover, the replay-routine did somthing to the module before it was played..)
That's how most of my rips are done. Of course, I don't disassemble the whole demo, just the parts that initialise and play the music. And, if you're wondering how I find that, I simply look through the code for writes to the audio registers.

For example, it's simple enough to depack the Operation Stealth files, find the SoundFX mods and samples, then patch them together, however if you look at the replay routine, you'll see they've tweaked it so the frequency of each sample is halved just before writing it to the audxper register. That's why certain earlier rips of the music (mentioning no names :) had all the samples playing back at the wrong frequency.

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

Finally a word from kyz!! :D
kyz wrote:People are aware of those formats because the coders released replayers for them, promising less CPU utilisation than the standard protracker replayer.
Ok, did not know that, sorry
kyz wrote:That's the format they're in on disk. Try it yourself with the READ_SOS tool on Aminet, or the XADMASTER system (also on Aminet) using the command "xadunfile DARC Arte.dms RAM:" or "xadunfile DIMG Arte.adf RAM:", then decrunch the mod files with XFD.
I was aware of those tools, but newer used them my self.., i got my Noise Runner modules from memory, using Action Replay V.III, coz they are stored wery low in ther ram = so the lovely "Boot disc" exotic ripper could make, just owerride it :( but im sure you have them in .NR format to??

This is not a critic, i asumed that the modules in the new archive would be in the format the are when you hunt for them in RAM, in this case Noise Runner.

Muerto

XtC

Post by XtC »

Muerto wrote:hmm, i think this has gone on long enugh!, come on XtC!!!, chose a name, so that part of ExoticA can get up and running!!!! :D :D :D

Currently, it looks like the whole collection will be called UnExoticA - but the game and demo music will be listed seperately.