rare mods

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

exo

rare mods

Post by exo »

Back when I used my Amiga 1200 I had a nice collection of demo music, now lost due to a corrupted HD. I think it doesn't harm for there to be several initiatives that supply Amiga demo music etc. That's good - its just too annoying if a major Amiga site closes down - we need alternatives, and after all, this stuff is public domain. However I think everone appreciates the work of the collectors like Exotica and AMP. A place like back2roots is also nice, except that its far too hard to get at files if you want to leech, as collectors do.

Some stuff I'd like to check out

- all artwork demo mods (smt)
- all faculty demo mods (snotty)
- all tricktrax mods
- newest mods from Jason
- newest mods from Vinnie
- and so on

There are probably also some gems among trackmos. I remember one but forget the name, it had superb music.

Anyway I tried AMP recently but it seemed the downloads were disabled (again: alternatives are good!) but I'll try again now...

:idea: Unified mod format: create format for as many mod formats as possible and convert all mods to it; then instead of having a heck of a lot of plugins we could do with one and all information from mods would be preserved.

An archive application like zipfolders could make it possible to browse each modfile like a folder: samples, instruments, patterns, names, info, etc.

One could also generate a database of information extracted from mods in this format so users could easily inspect thousands of modules. Their patterns could be compared, samples could be compared and possibly shared. In a database form songs would take up much less space because samples could be shared. One could even automatically search for similarities between songs and detect inspirations between composers.

Its a good thing Exotica has format descriptions. I've been thinking: perhaps its possible to create a machine readable description of each format, specify a mapping into a target format and then simply automatically generate conversion modules to recast most modules into the new format. Depends on how sophisticated each mod format is.

And and and... :)

l8r

XtC

Post by XtC »

...a huge undertaking!

I doubt you would see anything this ambitious appearing at all, anywhere. Unless you were prepared to co-ordinate it.

SMT

Post by SMT »

Thanks for compliments, exo! :D

Yes - finally, I found this forum... 8)

Please tell me which mods you already have from me - then I can send
you the missing ones...

Greetings,
SMT^(ex-)ARTWORK

kyz

Re: rare mods

Post by kyz »

exo wrote::idea: Unified mod format: create format for as many mod formats as possible and convert all mods to it; then instead of having a heck of a lot of plugins we could do with one and all information from mods would be preserved.
There's already DeliTracker's Custom format and SC68. Ah, but you don't mean "reduction in plugins", do you? You mean "conversion to one single protracker patterns/notetrigger/sample format", even though that's not really possible, as many formats simply don't touch the audio hardware in the same way as PT.
exo wrote: One could also generate a database of information extracted from mods in this format so users could easily inspect thousands of modules. Their patterns could be compared, samples could be compared and possibly shared. In a database form songs would take up much less space because samples could be shared. One could even automatically search for similarities between songs and detect inspirations between composers.
If this is such a good idea, why not just do it with Protracker mods at the moment? We already have thousands of those. If the result is really good, then we'll think about writing converter programs to mangle exotic formats into Protracker's huge limitations.

Coma

Post by Coma »

Exo, you are welcome to have a look at ftp.modland.com, maybe you find some of your requested modules there. And SMT, you are very welcome to check out your dir at Modland, and upload any completitions. :)

SMT

Post by SMT »

@Coma:

Okay, within the next days, I'll upload all of my modules there! :D

BTW: Do you know if anyone ever made a Protracker conversion of the
great old intro tune from the C64 game "Zamzara" by Charles Deenen?!

cu,
SMT

zeg

Post by zeg »

BTW: Do you know if anyone ever made a Protracker conversion of the
great old intro tune from the C64 game "Zamzara" by Charles Deenen?!

Pink/Abyss made one.
Galaxy/Amaze made one.

SMT

Post by SMT »

@zeg:

Thanks for your help, but:

- Pink has "only" made the Highscore song...I need the intro!

- Galaxy...hm...didn't find it?!

Greets,
SMT

zeg

Post by zeg »

- Galaxy...hm...didn't find it?!

Wohin darf ich es dir schicken?

SMT

Post by SMT »

@zeg: ist ja schon erledigt, smile... Danke!

@Coma:

Okay, now the "/upload/smt/" folder contains ALL of my modules... 8)

You should first delete the ones that are already in the "/protracker/smt/"
folder, because some of them are not the up-to-date versions!!!

After that, you can move all uploaded mods into that folder...

cu,
SMT

BTW: Ha, was nice fun to re-listen to that ol'stuff! :twisted:

Coma

Post by Coma »

Excellent! Thanks a lot. 8)

Now there's only one mystery module: dawn remix.mod.
It's a ripped module (from Dawn Remix by Artwork, obviously) which says "SMT" on sample 01, but I guess it wasn't made by you since it wasn't among the uploaded ones? I'll put it among the "unknowns" until further notice...

SMT

Post by SMT »

@Coma:

No, the "Dawn-Remix" module in that folder was definitely not composed
by me... But it also was not composed by ANY of the musicians in Artwork!

Must be a fake rip!

Anyway, thanks for moving the modules! 8)

Ehm... There are still three "doubles" in the folder which you can delete
because you now have the correct versions! They are:

- Kalinka (it was just a work name - Rasputin is the correct name & file)
- Only Four Voices (the mod with the "4" in the filename is the correct one)
- Silent Heros (was just a misspelling as it correctly says: "Heroes")

Finally, you can delete the folder "K'Ehleyr" because the mod "Jupwi" was
a team-module with me, but she didn't compose anything at all - she just
had the idea for the melody and I composed it... :!:

Okay, that's it!

cu,
SMT

Coma

Post by Coma »

Thanks for these last corrections. Now everything's fixed!