menace - not a Pink Floyd fan?

Everything to do with the demo scene. Demos, Groups, Parties and Information, as well as news and opinions.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz, menace

kyz

menace - not a Pink Floyd fan?

Post by kyz »

In the review of Mankind's Aerial demo, he says "The music sucks throughout - they're probably trying to be different, but it's a tad too weird for me.". It's actually Syd Barrett and co. that he should be upset with, because the tune is a cover-version of Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive.

This makes me wonder - what other cover-versions or remixes of popular tunes have you heard in demos? For example, the cover of The Prodigy's Voodoo People in Rebels' Switchback, or Jogier's remix of Haddaway's What is Love? in Virtual Dreams' Love...

Muerto

Re: menace - not a Pink Floyd fan?

Post by Muerto »

kyz wrote:In the review of Mankind's Aerial demo, he says "The music sucks throughout - they're probably trying to be different, but it's a tad too weird for me.". It's actually Syd Barrett and co. that he should be upset with, because the tune is a cover-version of Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive.

This makes me wonder - what other cover-versions or remixes of popular tunes have you heard in demos? For example, the cover of The Prodigy's Voodoo People in Rebels' Switchback, or Jogier's remix of Haddaway's What is Love? in Virtual Dreams' Love...
... cant think of any...., but could you put a d-link on those tunes??

Muerto

kyz

Post by kyz »

Muerto wrote:
... cant think of any...., but could you put a d-link on those tunes??

Muerto
Seeing as you asked... http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/new/covers.lha

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

kyz wrote:
Seeing as you asked... http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/new/covers.lha
Yir baby!!!

Thx alot for the link :D

Muerto

menace

Post by menace »

Hiya Kyz! :) You're right about me not being a Pink Floyd fan, so I hope I can be forgiven for not being familiar with the tune covered in the Mankind demo. But thanks a lot for bringing it to my attention, I'll certainly add it to scenery!

Now, if only someone would do a moody, dark, gothic demo with a cover version of a To/Die/For song... ;)

XtC

Post by XtC »

kyz wrote:This makes me wonder - what other cover-versions or remixes of popular tunes have you heard in demos?
Well, Darius Zendeh's loader music from RSI's Megademo blatantly uses a large chunk of (IIRC) one of the tunes from Jarre's Zoolook album. I'll try and clarify this a bit later - when I'm not at work!

:roll:

XtC

Post by XtC »

Aye, I was right. Jarre's tune is called "Zoolookologie", and if you're familiar with Darius' loader music from the RSI megademo, and you have access to the Jarre tune, about 40 seconds in you should recognise the melody.

From the same Jarre tune, you may also recognise where Budbrain got some of their instruments from for one of their megademos...

useless

Post by useless »

What a shame!! I guess Menace will have to reconsider his musical influences a bit??
Menace: Let`s make a music disk with Floyd covers in .mod format containing only st-01 samples! Popsnare 2 and Monobass rules!!

Muerto

Post by Muerto »

useless wrote:Popsnare 2 and Monobass rules!!
Loool :D :D :D
-- you cant escape Muerto --

MAD

Pink Floyd just rules!

Post by MAD »

Hoya!

Ppink Floyd (The Roger Waters era) just rules!

Techno and hiphop MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be funky

M A D
Truth is not Beauty.
Beauty is not Love.
Love is not Music.
Music is the Best.

Frank ZAPPA, Joe's Garage.

AMIGA
- The Computer with a Soul-

Muerto

Re: Pink Floyd just rules!

Post by Muerto »

MAD wrote:Hoya! Ppink Floyd (The Roger Waters era) just rules! Techno and hiphop MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be funky M A D
Why must techno and hiphop die??

I´ll bet you 10£ you just like 1 hiphop and/or techno song!

MAD

Post by MAD »

Hoya!

@Muerto

No, definitively no.
Techno and hiphop have polluted music since their appearance. Because of those, many people think it is easy to make music while, of course, it is not.

Just listen to Black American music from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Musically speaking it was MENTAL! Now, arseholes like der dre and snoop dog steal their peers' work. They have KILLED Black music!!!

Be funky

M A D
Truth is not Beauty.
Beauty is not Love.
Love is not Music.
Music is the Best.

Frank ZAPPA, Joe's Garage.

AMIGA
- The Computer with a Soul-