xDMS 1.3.1 released

Discussion about Amiga games and gaming. However, please do not post requests for copyrighted software.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

shd

xDMS 1.3.1 released

Post by shd »

xDMS is a UNIX tool for uncompressing Amiga DMS disk images. It is useful for Amiga emulation scene. xDMS is Public Domain with source.

xDMS for UNIXes is too outdated. It uses obsolete library calls (tmpnamp()) and uses wrong C types. I patched xDMS 1.3 a bit to keep it up-to-date, and released the version 1.3.1. It should know compile and install well on must UNIX systems that support C99 standard types (#include <stdint.h>).

http://freshmeat.net/projects/xdms/

The new version has been submitted into Gentoo Linux, but it has not yet made it.

If you have _any_ suggestions on how to improve xDMS, please contact me. And if you know how to contact the original author, please let me know.

shd / Uade Team
Heikki Orsila
heikki.orsila@iki.fi
http://uade.ton.tut.fi

asle

Post by asle »

Hey there,

That's great news !. I'll get it right away and try it under FreeBSD. I would have a few requests or suggestions to make but right now, I seem to have forgotten any of them :(. Anyway, do you take over the project ?. By that, I mean, should I send you the rare examples that generates strange behaviour of xDMS ?.
I don't know for anyone, here, but I'm certainly greatful of this update !. Thanks !.

Best regards,
Sylvain "Asle" Chipaux
Sylvain "Asle" Chipaux

shd

about maintainership

Post by shd »

asle wrote: I would have a few requests or suggestions to make but right now, I seem to have forgotten any of them :(.
Please, if you find something then contact me, but see below.
asle wrote: Anyway, do you take over the project ?. By that, I mean, should I send you the rare examples that generates strange behaviour of xDMS ?
To be honest, I don't know the code, and the internal details especially about dms unpacking can be too obscure for me. However, if it's a generic software issue or simply a debugging thing I will try to maintain it. In the best scenario the original author does this, but where is he?

shd / uade team
Heikki Orsila
heikki.orsila@iki.fi
http://uade.ton.tut.fi

kyz

Re: about maintainership

Post by kyz »

shd wrote:
asle wrote: To be honest, I don't know the code, and the internal details especially about dms unpacking can be too obscure for me.
Isn't it a good time to learn? Why else would you update the software, unless you wanted to fix something? Header files don't count :)

Asle, could you send me the DMS files, along with the correctly unpacked ADFs (or at least which version of the real DMS will unpack them correctly)? I want to make sure they are in the libxad testsuite.

shd

Re: about maintainership

Post by shd »

kyz wrote: Isn't it a good time to learn? Why else would you update the software, unless you wanted to fix something? Header files don't count :)
I only want xdms to be convenient for unix users.
kyz wrote: Asle, could you send me the DMS files, along with the correctly unpacked ADFs (or at least which version of the real DMS will unpack them correctly)? I want to make sure they are in the libxad testsuite.
This is excellent since unpackers are more of your hobbies than mine. If you find any bugs, please notify us of changes. Imo you should be the maintainer of xdms.

shd / uade team