UADE on Mac OS X

Need some help with something you found on the site, or have an improvement ? Post it here. Feedback and ideas are always useful.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz, Coma

Akira

UADE on Mac OS X

Post by Akira »

Feel free to move this thread, I don't know if this is the correct forum for it :P

Anyway, I was wondering if somebody succesfully installed UADE in mac OS X Jaguar? I really want to try it out since it should be the ONLY decent mod player for the Mac, but I know pish all about all that spanner-head compiling shite. Is that Fink (or whatever) tool really needed to make it run? Or could I compile it so it runs on an Xserver? (don't tell me it has no GUI :P)

Any help apreciated!

kyzer

Re: UADE on Mac OS X

Post by kyzer »

Akira wrote:Feel free to move this thread, I don't know if this is the correct forum for it :P

Anyway, I was wondering if somebody succesfully installed UADE in mac OS X Jaguar? I really want to try it out since it should be the ONLY decent mod player for the Mac, but I know pish all about all that spanner-head compiling shite. Is that Fink (or whatever) tool really needed to make it run? Or could I compile it so it runs on an Xserver? (don't tell me it has no GUI :P)

Any help apreciated!
I can compile it fine, but only as an XMMS plugin, and Fink's XMMS doesn't actually have an output plugin for the Mac's sound system. WTF?!

I think it's time to learn Mac programming and make a native GUI for uade :)

mld/ uade team

uade on Mac OS X

Post by mld/ uade team »

Hi kyz, hi Akira,

uade on MAC OS X... Tricky *grin*

... and yes there's really no native GUI. In case there's
interest I made two very simple shell scripts using
gdialog (Gnome) /kdialog (KDE3). Just some kind of launcher like
the MOS script.

If you write a GUI, Kyz, consider to use something that might be
crossplatform. :)

@ kyz:
if you got it to compile without errors you should be able
to use the console tool without problems.

Just make sure you compile it with sdl audio support:
./configure --with-sdl
make
(make test) to see if it works

About the xmms plugin... Just an I idea...
I guess the lack of Core audio output in xmms can be worked around
by using Finks ESD/Esound for Gnome and the ESD outputplugin.
(might work with Artsd and an Arts output plugin for xmms as
well)

@ Akira:

sorry, no binaries. I'm afraid you have to compile. ;)

you don't neccessary need fink as far I understood from M. Baltaks
who helped us with OS X compilation support, but you have to compile all
the things you need for uade yourself. Fink saves you a lot
of trouble, I understood.

Requirements:
-------------
System V compatible poll: http://www.clapper.org/software/poll

Fink - http://fink.sf.net
(and via fink)
- SDL
- xmms
- GNU libtool

Installation steps:
-------------------

1) install SDL and xmms using Fink
2) install poll
3) install gnu libtool using Fink
4) sudo ln -s glibtool libtool (in /sw/bin)
5) rehash (a tcsh thing)
(in uade directory)
6) ./configure; make; make install

(all thanks have to go to Michael Baltaks for this recipy :)

Unfortunately, I can't check it out myself, since I (and I guess
the same is true for Heikki) don't have a Mac here. So you
are on your own.

anyway, hope it helps a bit.

Michael, mld/uade team

shd / uade team

Post by shd / uade team »

kyzer wrote: I think it's time to learn Mac programming and make a native GUI for uade :)
Lycka till as the swedish would say. You'd better wait for uade 0.90 to appear. It has lots of code restructuring that makes it easier to write GUIs into the uade executable.

Otherwise I think it is waste of time to write GUIs. Just use XMMS and write proper output plugins for it. We'll probably have a proper interactive command line interface at some stage. Current interactive command line mode is b0rken.

Oh. btw. Mac OS X is totally b0rken operating system. It's amazing anything works with it. It lacks native poll(), and it is supposed to resemble something like UNIX. And it has borken 'which' command on the default sh which outputs the result onto stderr and not stdout. It lacks ftw(). Then the compiler is practically b0rken requiring those ugly -no-cpp-precomp switches. Hopefully it will become sane. Unless some Mac OS X guy really puts effort into UADE it will never work well. Solaris, *BSD and GNU/Linux are just fine at the moment.

shd / uade team
heikki.orsila@iki.fi

shd / uade team

Re: uade on Mac OS X

mld/ uade team wrote: If you write a GUI, Kyz, consider to use something that might be
crossplatform. :)
I'll make the choice easier for you. Make it crossplatform or I will not integrate it into official uade distribution :) Seriously world has enough single-minded GUIs.

What we have now:

1) xmms plugin
2) command line tool like mpg123
3) shitty command line interactive

What we will have in the future:

- proper command line interactive mode
- some crossplatform gui

UADE 0.90 will all GUIs easier. It has a better internal plugin architecture. Restructuring and conversion of command line tool and xmms plugin is actually done, but there are probably bugs. Maybe I'll get bugs fixed by releasing it :P
mld/ uade team wrote: About the xmms plugin... Just an I idea...
I guess the lack of Core audio output in xmms can be worked around by using Finks ESD/Esound for Gnome and the ESD outputplugin.
How about solving the problem instead of having a work around? Just write the Mac OS X output plugin.
mld/ uade team wrote: Installation steps:
-------------------

1) install SDL and xmms using Fink
2) install poll
3) install gnu libtool using Fink
4) sudo ln -s glibtool libtool (in /sw/bin)
5) rehash (a tcsh thing)
(in uade directory)
6) ./configure; make; make install
It may seem like an asshole thing to demand proper GNU tools, but life without them is not easy. Every version of Mac OS X has become closer to BSD and GNU/Linux systems, I hope the trend still continues ;) Ironically Darwin is a fork from FreeBSD. Where did they loose the good stuff in user space?-)
mld/ uade team wrote: Unfortunately, I can't check it out myself, since I (and I guess
the same is true for Heikki) don't have a Mac here. So you
are on your own.
No Mac OS X here, although I have had an itch to buy one of those 64-bit dual G5 machines..

Even after everything I've said about Mac OS X, I still think it is one of the better operating systems around though not the best.

Heikki Orsila
shd / uade team
heikki.orsila@iki.fi
http://uade.ton.tut.fi

kyz

Post by kyz »

shd / uade team wrote: Just use XMMS and write proper output plugins for it.
Ick. XMMS is horrid, the only reason people use it is because of all the plugins. It's the same with Winamp. There has to be someone who will encapsulate the XMMS api and write a proper GUI for it.
Oh. btw. Mac OS X is totally b0rken operating system.
No, it's a BSD operating system. Don't whine because it doesn't have a full complement of SysV calls. If you must complain, complain that it doesn't conform to SUSv2 yet.

I happen to be writing native CoreAudio output for uade as we speak, and have it mostly fink packaged.

kyz

Post by kyz »

shd / uade team wrote:Then the compiler is practically b0rken requiring those ugly -no-cpp-precomp switches.
http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... rtingUnix/
-no-cpp-precomp uses GNU cpp instead of Apple’s cpp-precomp. Mac OS X uses precompiled headers to accelerate compiling C++ and Objective-C source code. This is done with the Mac OS X preprocessor (cpp-precomp) and not the GNU C preprocessor. Because many open source projects are written with GNU C preprocessor extensions that the Mac OS X preprocessor doesn’t implement, you can use this flag to turn the Mac OS X preprocessor off. If the error messages have anything to do with headers (precompiled or otherwise), this is often a good place to start.
How dare Apple not be 100% compatible with GNU's proprietary extensions! Did you know that portable code means portable to more than one compiler?

shd / uade team

kyz wrote: Ick. XMMS is horrid, the only reason people use it is because of all the plugins. It's the same with Winamp. There has to be someone who will encapsulate the XMMS api and write a proper GUI for it.
What's so bad in it? It definitely isn't perfect in plugin API, I don't like glib much, and it still has a few bugs. But all in all it does the job pretty well.
No, it's a BSD operating system. Don't whine because it doesn't have a full complement of SysV calls. If you must complain, complain that it doesn't conform to SUSv2 yet.
No it isn't a BSD operating system. It doesn't conform to enough many things, where as BSDs do.
I happen to be writing native CoreAudio output for uade as we speak, and have it mostly fink packaged.
I look forward to seeing it :)

Heikki Orsila
shd / uade team
heikki.orsila@iki.fi

shd / uade team

kyz wrote: How dare Apple not be 100% compatible with GNU's proprietary extensions! Did you know that portable code means portable to more than one compiler?
Don't bullshit me, it isn't even a language extension. It's an optimization! Apple wanted to have precompiled headers as an optimization, and it broke projects which are valid C. Now GNU people are trying to precompile headers too, we'll see what it brings us.

Heikki Orsila
shd / uade team
heikki.orsila@tut.fi

shd / uade team

shd / uade team wrote: Apple wanted to have precompiled headers as an optimization, and it broke projects which are valid C.
btw. It is an irony that they chose gcc derivative as the compiler for mac os x, and then they broke it. It actually sounds like Apple can't deal with the real world and wants to cause trouble for developers.

Heikki Orsila
shd / uade team
heikki.orsila@iki.fi

kyz

Post by kyz »

shd / uade team wrote: btw. It is an irony that they chose gcc derivative as the compiler for mac os x, and then they broke it. It actually sounds like Apple can't deal with the real world and wants to cause trouble for developers.
Now that's just flaming. It's every hardware and OS creator's perogative to change things to suit themselves. Linux has hurt UNIX development, as there are countless so-called UNIX projects developed which only work on Linux because the authors never tried it on anything else. Then they would notice that other OSes have different system calls, different return codes, different headers, different libraries and so on. There even exists a lot of shells scripts marked "#!/bin/sh", but should really be "#!/bin/bash" because they use bash extensions, and their authors didn't even know that.

This is why autoconf exists. Either you can use autoconf (which, btw, deals with thousands more portability and compatibility issues than you have), or you can continue to flame at each and every difference from gcc+linux that you see. It would also be useful to use automake -- you wouldn't need to waste your development efforts on writing special "--package-prefix" configure options, for example.

Anyway, I replaced SysV's poll() with BSD's select() in 2 minutes -- you only used it once, so there is no need for poll() in your project at all, and no need to flame about the lack of it.

And now the CoreAudio driver is working fine, playing the data it is sent, however the UADE emulation always seems to provide nothing but silent data (i.e. audio.c is only ever sending 0 to the PUT_SOUND_ macros). Have you seen that before?

kyz

Post by kyz »

kyz wrote:And now the CoreAudio driver is working fine, playing the data it is sent, however the UADE emulation always seems to provide nothing but silent data (i.e. audio.c is only ever sending 0 to the PUT_SOUND_ macros). Have you seen that before?
I didn't set sample_evtime, it seems, so update_audio() looped forever. Well, I didn't know it existed! Why does it belong in an audio driver abstraction, anyway? All the drivers set it to the same value.

I'm nearly there. Audio is discernable, but highly distorted, and playing at half speed. I'm not sure quite what it is, but it doesn't _sound_ like I'm playing stereo data into a mono stream, besides the driver tells me that we're expecting stereo, anyway...

shd / uade team

kyz wrote: Linux has hurt UNIX development, as there are countless so-called UNIX projects developed which only work on Linux because the authors never tried it on anything else.
Quite the opposite. GNU/Linux has hugely boosted development and skills for UNIX. You may speculate that *BSD could have become the big thing but it's not totally clear.
Then they would notice that other OSes have different system calls, different return codes, different headers, different libraries and so on. There even exists a lot of shells scripts marked "#!/bin/sh", but should really be "#!/bin/bash" because they use bash extensions, and their authors didn't even know that.
Actually the only realistic way to do sw devel in hacker style is evolutionary. Those faults will get fixed when there's enough users on each operating system using that software. That has happened to countless projects. We are just one example expanding from GNU/Linux to most widely used UNIX systems (Digital Unix, Solaris, *BSD, ...). Going straight into work-arounding oddities of all UNIXes is over-engineered software design. Better create something workable first and then see what can be done to fit all the code together coherently.

Sure there will be problems. But once the sw gets developed in one way and it is used on other platforms it will be fixed. Note that the very old UNIX didn't have the same compilation style for projects. autoconf became popular due to GNU/Linux success and forced lots of projects to adopt consistent configuration, compilation and installation. We have copied ./configure, and --prefix= stuff from there obviously even if we don't touch M4 ;)
This is why autoconf exists. Either you can use autoconf (which, btw, deals with thousands more portability and compatibility issues than you have), or you can continue to flame at each and every difference from gcc+linux that you see. It would also be useful to use automake -- you wouldn't need to waste your development efforts on writing special "--package-prefix" configure options, for example.

Anyway, I replaced SysV's poll() with BSD's select() in 2 minutes -- you only used it once, so there is no need for poll() in your project at all, and no need to flame about the lack of it.
Autoconf wouldn't solve the select/poll problem totally. Yet another #define into headers/code and there would still be more tweaks to code. We just demand poll(). It is found on all modern unixes, so why not MacOSX? Even Solaris has it!
And now the CoreAudio driver is working fine, playing the data it is sent, however the UADE emulation always seems to provide nothing but silent data (i.e. audio.c is only ever sending 0 to the PUT_SOUND_ macros). Have you seen that before?
Everything you said in this and other post, please email a copy to heikki.orsila@ee.tut.fi. Then we'll discuss uade development there. I'll bring michael doering & co into discussion.

shd / uade team

kyz

Post by kyz »

shd / uade team wrote:GNU/Linux has hugely boosted development and skills for UNIX.
GNU has, Linux has not. With GNU, programmers would actually read the GNU coding standards. If they followed them, they would be good programmers. I don't see much of that happening with 90% of projects on freshmeat.
Actually the only realistic way to do sw devel in hacker style is evolutionary.
Have you ever heard of this thing called "design"? All the best projects have one of these. Because software has actually been designed with the thought of other operating systems and architectures in mind, and has therefore been designed to be flexible, the actual job of getting the software to work on other platforms is relatively painless.

Writing deliberately for one platform, then hacking it to get it running on another, then hacking it again, and again and again is how you end up with unmaintainable, unusable code. Before your very eyes, it has become impossible to change anything without breaking something else. This isn't just what they warn you about, it really happens.

Are you writing Linux software, or UNIX software. If you're writing UNIX software, then write it for UNIX. Read the entire book of autoconf macros. Understand where the differences lie. Even if this is only subconcious knowledge, you'll do a better job writing multi-platform software.
autoconf became popular due to GNU/Linux success
No, GNU autoconf became popular due to GNU's success. The GNU basic toolset is usually superior to any other UNIX basic toolset. All Linux did was bring UNIX to the commodity desktop PC. Before that, everyone was still using GNU, but they were all big server owners and administrators.

Linux has no need for autoconf, it can comply to GNU's idealised OS. It even uses GNU libc. autoconf is popular because it makes developers easily capable of supporting even the most esoteric UNIXes. You can be happy knowing ./configure will make the code compile on your platform and you don't need to hack code manually to get it working.
We have copied ./configure, and --prefix= stuff from there obviously even if we don't touch M4 ;)
You should use autoconf rather than parody it in nonsensical shell scripts. For example, $prefix/doc is the wrong place for documentation on many systems, it should be $prefix/share/doc. Where can I change that? Oh, I can't, your --docprefix option is completely ignored. Great. If you had used autoconf, you wouldn't need to have spent any time manually writing that broken configuration option, and I would have a configuration option that actually worked. If you used automake, which generates makefiles to the GNU coding standards, packagers could just use those de-facto standards to make your code build in a temporary place while having paths hard-coded to their true installation place. But no, you didn't use automake, so you have to spend time manually writing code to let packagers do their job.
Autoconf wouldn't solve the select/poll problem totally. Yet another #define into headers/code and there would still be more tweaks to code. We just demand poll(). It is found on all modern unixes, so why not MacOSX? Even Solaris has it!
select() works on N systems, poll() works on N-1 systems. Those systems will never change, but your software can easily change, and in fact I have changed it. Every day you demand poll() is a day your software doesn't work on Mac OS X. Your point again?

select() even works on non-UNIX systems, given that it's part of the BSD socket programming interface (as used in Winsock, AmiTCP, etc). The same can't be said for poll().