Why PhpBB2 ?

Need some help with something you found on the site, or have an improvement ? Post it here. Feedback and ideas are always useful.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz, Coma

KeMoT

Why PhpBB2 ?

Post by KeMoT »

Hello :)

Why are you using PhpBB2 :?: it is so..so... " hackable " :evil:
The brave ones own the world...

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Don't give anyone ideas :-)

I try to keep up to date with security patches to avoid being hacked..

When I set the forum up, phpbb really looked like the best available. There were some others, but they were not free... Why forum software do you prefer ?

KeMoT

Post by KeMoT »

I prefer to use far better and secure IPB, I know it isn't free now but...

Some time ago, there was LAST FREE AND LEGAL version of it available for download on the producer's site, it is IPB V2.0.0 TRIAL but - it has no any limitations and even todays it is legal.
I am using it on both my forums for quite a long time ago and I am more than happy about it :)

Today this version isn't downloadable LEGALLY but Invision staff says: "if somebody downloaded it from our site when it was available, it can be legally used as long as you want "

Of course I have downloaded it from their site long time ago :)

P.S. I was using PhpBB2 for some time in the past but it has only about 7% of IPB's functionality and performance possibilities.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

KeMoT wrote: P.S. I was using PhpBB2 for some time in the past but it has only about 7% of IPB's functionality and performance possibilities.
How did you work out the 7% figure :-)

performance wise, phpbb2 is fine. There have been no issues with speed with the current amount of visitors.

When I set up the forum, Invasion power board was commercial. Also, as teh free version you refer to probably does not get security updates, it is likely to be less secure than a well updated phpbb.

KeMoT

Post by KeMoT »

Still, wouldn't you like to uhmm, change to IPB :?:

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

If the majority of the users demanded a change I might. But phpbb seems to be doing the job currently. If its not broken, then why fix it ? :-)

KeMoT

Post by KeMoT »

Not fix, improve :D
..but I give up - you are the one to decide.

Harrison

Post by Harrison »

Sorry to dig up such an old topic, but I was wondering. Now that phpbb3 is released have you considered migrating this forum to it?

I've just done a couple of forum migrations from 2 to 3 and it is a very smooth process. phpbb3 offers a much more polished forum environment and is nicer to use. It also contains better security and is more configurable.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Partly time. And partly because the current version works (if it aint brkoe etc). The forum is quiet anyway, so I'm not sure it would be a great advantage. So. Other forum members: Do you want the new version ?

PS. Feel free to dig up old topics. there are not that many "new" ones ;-)

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!
BuZz wrote:Other forum members: Do you want the new version ?
Yes please. You've got a posh new wiki (which apparently only I am editing), so why not a posh new forum too :?:
Cheers!

Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Whatever you do, please keep phpBB. I can't stand IPB.

BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Why PhpBB2 ?

Post by BuZz »

You got your posh new forum. Please reply with ideas/changes to http://www.exotica.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =14&t=1450. I'm not happy with the drop down menus really yet and im thinking to get rid of the rounded corners.