It's worse than that, it's dead Jim.

For general and site related discussion.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

kyz

It's worse than that, it's dead Jim.

Post by kyz »

I am sad to announce that my A1200's main board is no more. Despite tweaking, cleaning, prodding and various other things, the darned thing won't boot any longer.

R.I.P. dixie, 1992-2004

So now I have to go get a new A1200 from eBay or some place, if I ever want to use my still fully functional Amiga HDD, Ethernet PCMCIA card, 68030, 32Mb RAM, etc. One with a working floppy drive would be good, as I'd been using an old A500+ FDD for the past 5 years, until it conked out completely last year. I'd either like a pre-ESCOM board (i.e. one without h/w bugs on it), or one with 3.1 ROMs to make up for it.

Before I go buy one off eBay, has anyone got any spares?

XtC

Post by XtC »

Up until Summer last year, I could have said yes!

Would you believe I trashed a spare A1200?!? (and 2 Atari ST, and Spectrums).

I need locking up!

XtC

Post by XtC »

Actually, try Amibench before you try eBay...

http://www.amibench.org/

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have a working NTSC a1200, and a maybe a couple of buggy escom ones. You only need a board though right? I think i have a board in a tower case that works too. Let me know.

There are also lots going on ebay as usual. Looking at completed items should should be able to secure a base model for £30.

kyz

It returns!

Post by kyz »

Yep, I have a new board in place and it's working fine. All the hardware extensions were fine, it was just the motherboard that was twatted. I even get a working disk drive again, so hurrah!

In recognition of this return from the dead, I've renamed the machine "lazarus".

Incidentally, I have one of those with the half clock port and plug-in extension to the main board for the mouse socket. What kind is that? It seems to be pre-ESCOM days.

NightShade737

Re: It returns!

Post by NightShade737 »

kyz wrote:Yep, I have a new board in place and it's working fine. All the hardware extensions were fine, it was just the motherboard that was twatted. I even get a working disk drive again, so hurrah!

In recognition of this return from the dead, I've renamed the machine "lazarus".

Incidentally, I have one of those with the half clock port and plug-in extension to the main board for the mouse socket. What kind is that? It seems to be pre-ESCOM days.
I had one of those aswell. 1D4 reversion. It's an original commodore, just one of the newer ones, BUT it has the timing problem, so unless it is fixed it may have problems with certain accellerators.