ExoticA on Bit Torrent

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

Jason

ExoticA on Bit Torrent

Post by Jason »

Hi,

I was wondering, if it is possible to download the entire ExoticA collection e.g. like the HVSC?

Could this perhaps be done using Bit Torrent in one large zip file, so lha isn't needed? :D

/Jason

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

I doubt if a 2GB Zip file would be hosted on ExoticA, plus the collection is going to get even larger in time.

With regards to providing a bittorrent file - possibly - I'll try and work on something in the near future, but don't hold your breath! :wink:
Cheers!

MysticMoon

Post by MysticMoon »

I guess the problem is the collection is always being updated, so you could only really have a seed at a snapshot in time.. and at 2gb that would be some big share.

Offline website copier/downloaders could get you a copy of the site/section, but it would create a hell load of traffic and probably bring Exotica down so probably not advised.

Or perhaps an Exotica 2005 on DVD release for those wanting to get right up to date from a clean slate..? (such a DVD could easily contain the other HSVC, ST and AY collections out there also).

Jason

Post by Jason »

MysticMoon wrote:I guess the problem is the collection is always being updated, so you could only really have a seed at a snapshot in time.. and at 2gb that would be some big share.
What if there every year was made one full and updated torrent, and when updates to ExoticA are made, updates like HVSC are made available?

Perhaps even HVSC's update program could be used :D

Jason

Post by Jason »

XtC wrote:Ey up!

I doubt if a 2GB Zip file would be hosted on ExoticA, plus the collection is going to get even larger in time.
I am not an expert on the subject, but wouldn't a torrent course less traffic for ExoticA?
With regards to providing a bittorrent file - possibly - I'll try and work on something in the near future, but don't hold your breath! :wink:
Sounds good :D

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I've always planned to have exotica in a state where you can get "all of it". originally this was going to be on a cd, but since then it's grown a bit. Now that we all have broadband etc, an all in one download makes sense. Just that exotica has never quite got to the stage where I feel its ready :-) I want to remake exotica and make it entirely database driven and templated so it's easier to update. Just have to find the time to do this :-)

Jason

Post by Jason »

That would be very cool :D

Does ExoticA have the modules at Wanted Team and Hacked Amiga Music?

If not, then it would be cool if ExoticA had :D

shd

Re: ExoticA on Bit Torrent

Post by shd »

Jason wrote:I was wondering, if it is possible to download the entire ExoticA collection e.g. like the HVSC?

Could this perhaps be done using Bit Torrent in one large zip file, so lha isn't needed? :D
/Jason
rsync is a superior alternative because of frequent updates. It is used to update major FTP site mirrors around the world. Afaik even exotica uses rsync internally. See:

http://rsync.samba.org/

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!
Jason wrote:Does ExoticA have the modules at Wanted Team and Hacked Amiga Music?
(Un)ExoticA does contain most if not all of the HAM collection. The Wanted Team collection is still being worked on - I would guess at maybe 75% is on UnExoticA.
Cheers!

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!
shd wrote:rsync is a superior alternative because of frequent updates. It is used to update major FTP site mirrors around the world. Afaik even exotica uses rsync internally.
Agreed.

Trouble is, everyone would be hammering the bandwidth of exotica.fix.no - only BuZz knows what limits are in place.

Torrents would free up the bandwidth.

I'm currently working on providing a torrent for the traditional LhA archives hosted on UnExoticA and also a Zip version for those who prefer it. I'll post an update when it's ready...
Cheers!

Jason

Post by Jason »

XtC wrote:I'm currently working on providing a torrent for the traditional LhA archives hosted on UnExoticA and also a Zip version for those who prefer it. I'll post an update when it's ready...
Doesn't lha have a 1 GB limit? I think I once read that.

From what I remember can't Windows unpack zip files by default, so would it make a difference if the archive was classic zip or rar, tar.bz2,7z, zip (compressed by 7-zip) ?

Coma

Post by Coma »

Later versions of Windows (probably all NT5-based ones) supports zip out of the box, calling archives "compressed folders". I think people geeky enough to be interested in this torrent would have no problems unpacking it, regardless of packing method, so use whatever gets the size down the most. 8)

Jason

Post by Jason »

Coma wrote:Later versions of Windows (probably all NT5-based ones) supports zip out of the box, calling archives "compressed folders". I think people geeky enough to be interested in this torrent would have no problems unpacking it, regardless of packing method, so use whatever gets the size down the most. 8)
tar.7z :D

HVSC's approach is to zip twice where the frist is without compression, so the file filename/file structure is compressed aswell. Similar to using tar :D