Great CDDA remixes in ports to other platforms

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

alexh

Great CDDA remixes in ports to other platforms

Post by alexh »

I recently came across an archive of 10's of MP3 remixes of the music from Shadow of the beast 1 & 2.

The remixes were remarkably good, studio quality, much better than your usual homebrew stuff which screws with the beat and timing of the original work. Perhaps even as good as the Immortal Remix CD by Ruben Monteiro

So impressed, I started a quest to track down where they came from, and who made them.

The discovery I made, shocked me. They were the music ripped off the CD versions of the games for the TurboGrafx-CD (PCEngine Super CD-ROM^2) and FM Marty Towns and Sega MegaCD!

I had no idea these versions had CDDA let alone such good remixes.
Last edited by alexh on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

alexh

PCEngine SuperCD-ROM^2

Post by alexh »

The PCEngine version was done by Davy Jones' company "DMA Design" (the people behind Lemmings and BloodMoney).

It is a very good coversion, arguably better than the Amiga version both technically and in gameplay (perhaps not music). The graphics are very smooth, larger main sprite, two retries. Very fun to play.

The music is CDDA and MP3's can be found here.

It is very good.

alexh

Post by alexh »

I'll review the music for the other versions and provide details on the musicians and downloads soon.

If anyone knows of other games which were ported to consoles/computers with CDDA versions of classic Amiga music then please let me know.

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

An interesting discovery. It's actually the kind of thing that belongs in the Lost In Translation section of the new ExoticA wiki - if you fancy a challenge? :wink:
Cheers!

Kaminari

Re: Great CDDA remixes in ports to other platforms

Post by Kaminari »

alexh wrote:I had no idea these versions had CDDA let alone such good remixes.
My, I've had the PC Engine version for 16 years. The soundtrack is much better than the late remixes by Ruben. It's no wonder: it was arranged by Tim Wright himself. His Mega CD version of his original Beast 2 soundtrack is not bad either, very atmospheric.

alexh

Post by alexh »

I've read in several places (including Wikipedia) that "Tim Wright" (of Shadow of the Beast 2 & 3 fame) was responsible for the CD studio music in the PC Engine version of SOTB.

However I've found compelling evidence that the music from the PC Engine version (1992) is ripped straight from the earlier FM-Towns version (1991) and in the credits the music is Arranged and recorded by "Ian Henderson" and "Chris Howlett".

I know Wikipedia isnt always accurate but I'd like to try and confirm this... anyone else know anything about this??

alexh

Post by alexh »

I wrote down that the music in the PC Engine was credited to Cold Storage (Which is Tim Wright)!

Hmmm, I wonder whats going on?

Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

> "Ian Henderson" and "Chris Howlett"

Those names don't ring a bell at all. It's been a while, but I remember Tim Wright from the end credits of the PCE version. Maybe I'll have a go at the game again. Btw, no wonder the PCE and FMT ports are musically identical, they were both developed by DMA for Victor Entertainment (JVC/VMI at the time).

As for famous Amiga to PCE CD conversions, you can add Jim Power to your list. The soundtrack was composed and arranged by Chris himself (I think you can hear some medleys on his albums Rainbows and Sound Factory).

alexh

Post by alexh »

I called Tim and he doesn't remember doing it.

Is there any way to check out the end credits in the PCE game without completing it?

XtC

Post by XtC »

"View friendly" text dump from the PCE ISO: -

Code: Select all

credits      produced by psygnosis and nec        written by dma design       based on an original  amiga  game by reflections      director dave jones      project manager brian watson      programming  by  michael dailly      animation  player  by russell kay and brian watson          production   steve hammond   john white   martyn chudley          intro graphics  by   jeff bramfitt   mike waterworth          end sequence  by   jeff bramfitt   garvan corbett          animated  sequences   jeff bramfitt   lee carus   nikki westcott          actors   mike waterworth   garvan corbett   nikki westcott   lee carus   neil thompson   gary burley   dianne walsh          backgrounds   mike waterworth   garvan corbett   lee carus   gary burley        miscellaneous  graphics    steve hammond    mike dailly        music  by  d.c.  productions  ltd.          gofer jane donald nick burcombe        play testers   john white   steven reid   dave jones   scott traynor    steve hammond   me        tea boy  scott johnston        special thanks  to     andrew whyte   dave haliey   gary timmons   jamie grant   jill jamieson   mark ireland   stacey jamieson   the fileserver          a piece of lime        biscuit muncher  russell kay          if at first you  dont succeed  cheat         no dragons were harmed during the making of this game            a  dma design  production  mcmxcii
Cheers!

Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

So indeed, it's not Tim / Cold Storage.

Never heard of DC Productions, very interesting. Alex, where did you get those names (Ian Henderson and Chris Howlett)? The only Google occurrence I found was Wikipedia, and the Beast article doesn't cite any source. Whoever they are, they did an amazing job. So much better than many studio remixes of late.

Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Ok, just found out on a Japanese BBS that those names are actually credited to the FM-Towns port, so that sounds legit enough. Does anyone know anything about DC Productions? There's one Ian Henderson who writes nice atmospheric music, but there's not a word on him working in the game industry.

Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Probably unrelated, but this is amusing. I found in Amiga Report 5.01 (dated 1997) the address of a particular US Amiga dealer in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I live in France, yet I'm a bit familiar with the place. Small world :)

DC Productions
218 Stockbridge Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Phone: (616)373-1985 (800)
dcpro!chetw@heifetz.msen.com

Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Last word from me for today: Mike Dailly probably knows a lot more about the PCE and FMT versions.

alexh

Post by alexh »

The FMT version cites these two names and DC productions in the intro scroller.

The PCE version is credited "DC Productions" on Moby games.

Someone says that Cold Storage is credited in the PCE game over credits, but I can neither confirm nor deny this. All I can say is I talked to him and he said he did not remember doing it.

It was I who added the details about DC Productions, Ian Henderson and Chris Howlett to Beast Wikipedia article (replacing what it said about Tim).