SOAMC= The Amiga to MP3 preservation project

Discussion about Amiga / C64 / Demoscene music and the ExoticA music archive. Favourite music, new rips, musicians, demo sounds, audio software. It's all welcome here.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

Oakvalley

SOAMC= The Amiga to MP3 preservation project

Post by Oakvalley »

Hello all,

You may heard of my C64 2 SID project (SOASC= project) www.6581-8580.com which finally went back online yesterday with own server and normal download speeds. Well, I'm at it again....this time for the Amiga!!

During the last year I've been preparing for the even more insane project than the C64 project. I intend now to record 105757 Amiga tunes to MP3. The project covers 153 different Amiga formats... Note: ALL Amiga oriented modules from Exotica, Modland, AMP and the MODS Anathology CD's are in the recording queue as we speak!!

The project will produce two MP3 files. One as-is original as played on Amiga in stereo and one stereo-mix version for better listening in headphones. This increases the collection to 211514 MP3 tunes.

When its done? Well, this amount of tunes takes A LOT of time to record...yep, running 24/7 for at least 8 months is in my current calculations!

More as it progresses....yes, I have already recorded 5000 tunes x 2, there is nothing stopping this totally insane project!

www.paula8364.com

Cheers, Stone Oakvalley

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

A very ambitious project. I dread to think how much hard disk space you will need for the entire Amiga collection!

I just tried to view both the C64 and the Amiga MP3s via the link on your site, but it's either down or blocked by my employer's web filter! :(
Cheers!

Oakvalley

Post by Oakvalley »

I guess around 850gb.

Yeah the server is running at a high portnumber, but hopefully very soon we shall configure it to 80 as normal. I can't access it myself at my work too :(

Oakvalley

Post by Oakvalley »

Dear Exotica,

You know my recording project and I have downloaded, yes, leeched a shitload of modules from your site.

Can I have your approval from Exotica that you are okey with the fact that I:

1: Downloaded all I could find.
2: Play them on my own equipment and record them to MP3
3: Host them on my own server and own offered bandwidth
4: Host both the original music archive and the MP3 online

The reason I ask for this permission is that recent days AMP told me NOT to release the modules I downloaded from their site as MP3. I care not to go into details but the answers were:

"somebody wishes people to listen to modules instead of mp3 versions"

"I could not do the leeching of modules without prior agreement." (well, waited 3months to get an answer on the matter, so f**k that)

"asked me not to relase it to the public." so....even my OWN modules which I downloaded can't be released as MP3 they say. Somebody just ate the Public Domain law for lunch over there.

Please be free to discuss this matter:
Do we or do we NOT allow modules to be recorded to MP3 and beeing available on internet?

Outcomes: Boikott AMP, send SOAMC= projects all your modules and let us do this thing the better way instead of that monopoly operation at AMP.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Feel free - we claim no copyright - and best of luck with your project. Please do link to us in return. and feel free to link to your own project from relative pages on this site.

If you want to do excessive leeching use my mirror ftp://aero.exotica.org.uk/pub/mirrors/f ... ica.org.uk

but also, when buzz posts on your forum asking for a copy of the mp3's of the c64 recording project if he posts you a hd, also please say yes too! :)

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Note that no other site has the right to restrict your use of modules downloaded so long as they dont have any exclusive rights. in the end the copyright is down to the author/publisher. Luckily most appreciate the effort we have made rather than considering it a problem.

Oakvalley

Post by Oakvalley »

Very good, Buzz. I have most of the tunes already, so I need to leech only from Modland these days. Yes, for key persons I can accept to make a copy of the SOASC= collection on HD's :-) Did you make the request earlier?

I have in fact combined the exotic formats from both this site and modland into a single structure in my database, so I'm not sure what file came from where, but both of you shall get the link close to our mp3 link on the database.
Last edited by Oakvalley on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyz

Post by kyz »

BuZz wrote:Note that no other site has the right to restrict your use of modules downloaded so long as they dont have any exclusive rights. in the end the copyright is down to the author/publisher. Luckily most appreciate the effort we have made rather than considering it a problem.
Also note that, in some cases, lots of effort went into collecting and archiving these materials, so even if they're not honoured by copyright, the people doing the collecting really appreciate it when you ask them first.

So thank you for asking first!

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Last followup: For demoscene mods etc, a better source is modland (ftp://ftp.modland.com) as they do not try and make it as difficult as possible to download tunes (like amp! ;-) )

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

It's a shame Amp are being so selfish, I didn't think they would be like that. It makes me think of the Hall Of Light, and their peevish page allocation system - not to mention their watermarking of every hosted image! Whatever their reasons, it does take the fun out of visiting a website! :(

Wikis rule! :D

If this MP3 collection is open to the public, then it really kills two birds with one stone; Oakvalley gets to generate probably the largest MP3 collection on the planet AND visitors to ExoticA can follow a link to an MP3 version of their favourite game/demo soundtrack. :wink:
Cheers!

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Which allocation system and watermarking? You got me confused? Or are you referring to Amiga Magazine Rack which has limits on how many scans you can download/view?

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!
BuZz wrote:Which allocation system and watermarking? You got me confused? Or are you referring to Amiga Magazine Rack which has limits on how many scans you can download/view?
AMR has unrealistic page view limits, but no watermarks - yet.

HOL has watermarks on ALL images, and a daily limit of 100 page views.

I hope we don't get like that...
Cheers!

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

oh.. I Just realised that. So people can't "copy" their data ? im not sure bandwidth can be that high. I wonder why.

Oakvalley

Post by Oakvalley »

Ahh, yes. I've already been in contact with modland. He was just cool about it and said he only distribute it and I'm free to download and all....just as I would have expected basically from all the Commodore database related sites out there....and like ours. If people wanna leech (they already do) from the SOASC= they can do so, it's their choice. All downloads are limited anyway so there won't be any 100% bandwidth for just one user...it just take a little bit longer.

But I mean....how many times can a mad leecher download the entire collection from a site? That's like once, during days or during 1-2 weeks...then what? He's gone and the site is full of bandwidth again. It's like when somebody hear one leeches the entire site they start blah blah about precious bandwidth and almost must shut the site down... argh, we eat bandwidth for lunch, don't we?

Statements like "we have to think about the others users"....well, its gonna be their turn after the mad leecher has finished scavenging the entire SOASC= or SOAMC= site, they are always there... I'm a leecher too, so you know...can't badmouth my own kind :-)

HOL watermarking of every hosted image? - Wow, thats a new one. If I upload a image I spent time doing, they stamp their name on it? Geez, don't we do these hobby projects for fun...I mean..

Oakvalley

Post by Oakvalley »

And, did you sweep over the movie I made for the SOAMC= recently?

You can see it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brFLSz66ULM
First a Amiga oriented introduction, calm and relaxing, the speeds it up with VD_Love music with real footage of the hardware in action. Yes, I will remove the AMP credit too at the end.