Lost in Translation - Arcade-History.com

Discussion related to development of the new wiki based site. Post here idea, improvements, and talk regarding the structure and content.

Moderators: XtC, BuZz

XtC

Lost in Translation - Arcade-History.com

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

The list of ported versions of arcade games was taken from the history.dat provided by the guys at Arcade History.com. They allow for their information to be shared so long as it adheres to the 'Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License' - something we are already doing.

To further populate the arcade games I've added to the Lost in Translation section, and thus reduce the number of stubs ( :D ), I'm suggesting we add certain other sections from this same source.

The history.dat file includes a Technical section, part of which would duplicate the details already extracted from MAME and present in the Infobox. This is probably the only part we wouldn't need in its entirety.

If the ExoticA team agrees, could we arrange an import please? The history.dat file is indexed on the MAME game ID, so it would be reasonably easy to marry up the wiki page name based on my previous work.

Once the import is complete, I (and possibly other wiki visitors) can go through the relevant pages and add internal links and formatting where needed.

Future updates to the history.dat file can then be added manually.

What say you guys?
Cheers!

BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Lost in Translation - Arcade-History.com

Post by BuZz »

I can do this. So what you want imported is like the descriptive text from the games or other stuff. Can you give me an example of what specifically you want me to import and how you want it to look. Feel free to use the sandbox or so.

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

Top bloke! I'll sort something out tonight then. :D
Cheers!

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

I provisional example exists in the sandbox now.
Cheers!

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I don't think the additional technical information will be possible. The script would not be able to guess what we already have etc.

Ports is already done right, so that can be ignored too right ?

The main text like trivia etc is doable.

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I also think you should have a default empty table for the music comparison and screenshots comparison so people know what they should put on a page, more change of getting contributions that way too.

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

The technical info can be edited/removed afterwards. I don't mind working through them.

I also don't mind if the existing Ports section is wiped to make way for the updated version that is available at arcade-history. The version used by LiT is '1.13a - 2007-03-19', whilst the latest version is '1.27c - 2008-10-09'.

I agree about the default empty tables being added. Can anyone resist filling in the blanks? :wink:
Cheers!

XtC

Post by XtC »

Ey up!

Thanks BuZz, for the import. It's much appreciated.
BuZz wrote:I also think you should have a default empty table for the music comparison and screenshots comparison so people know what they should put on a page, more change of getting contributions that way too.
Did you still want to put default empty tables in these pages?
Cheers!

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Yes, but it is something I can automate so dont worry about doing it manually