Lost In Translation/King of Fighters 2002, The - Challenge to Ultimate Battle
|The King of Fighters 2002 |
Challenge to Ultimate Battle
|Manufacturer||Eolith / Playmore|
68000 (@ 12.000 MHz)
Z80 (@ 4.000 MHz)
YM2610 (@ 8.000 MHz)
320 x 224 pixels
4,096 Palette colours
|ROM Info||25 ROMs|
90,767,360 bytes (86.56 MiB)
|MAME ID||kof2002 · kf10thep · kf2k2mp · kf2k2mp2 · kf2k2pla · kf2k2pls · kf2k5uni · kof10th · kof2k4se|
About The Game
The King of Fighters 2002, The - Challenge to Ultimate Battle is a one-on-one fighting arcade video game.
Revived 3 on 3 battles and new MAX Activation System enable you to get more and more exciting showdowns.
Additional Technical Information
Players : 2
Control : 8-way Joystick
Buttons : 4
=> [A] Light punch, [B] Light kick, [C] Strong punch, [D] Strong kick,
Developed by Eolith.
As the NESTS Chronicles began, Kyo's school uniform changed to a white outfit but his trademark was his black school uniform (even though he's over 20!). Because of some desired the return of the old Kyo, he was inserted into the game at the last moment. In KOF 2003, KUSANAGI was treated as phantom that Chizuru produced with the power of the Mirror of the Yata. But you can't have Kyo without a school uniform. Maybe in Chizuru's mind Kyo will always be a high school student.
The characters commonly referred to as Shadow Yashiro, Shadow Shermie, and Shadow Chris were first formulated to balance out the Japan Team of Kyo, Benimaru, and Daimon. Needless to say, Yashiro was 'a character who used powerful body slams associated with the earth and earthquakes' in the same vein Daimon did. He's a dynamic guy who doesn't fret over tiny details, but his hobby is playing guitar in his band. The band's name has never been officially revealed, but it is known as 'C.Y.S.' He idolizes the guitarist Paul Gilbert, and has quite a detailed background story to him.
If Yashiro offsets Daimon, Shermie is Benimaru's counterpart who 'manipulates lightning and thunderclap attacks'. But the supervising planner made sure, through trial and error, Shermie would simply not become a 'female Benimaru'. Various ideas were added to make her a new, unique character. The 'Moonless Thundercloud' Shermie heaves up with a belch is an example of this, as is the 'Willow Whip' move she uses to mow down opponents with flailing arms. Incidentally, these moves were called the 'Explosive Belch' and the 'Back off, You Beasty' moves during development.
Chris, of course, is Kyo's counterpart, 'a manipulator of flame'. At the inception of production, the plan was for Chris to use the 'Flame of Darkness (Black Flame)', but the black flames were hard to see so the designers settled for purple ones. When it came time to name Chris's arsenal of moves, we remember the director saying, 'The Dark Orochi Wave sounds good'. But other planners objected : 'It's dumb for an Orochi character to have 'Orochi Wave' as a move name. It's like saying, Call me Mr. Chris'. Regardless, the director won out.
The little kid that appears in Terry Bogard's win poses is none other than a young Rock Howard from "Garou - Mark of The Wolves". Since Garou takes place in 2008, Rock is still a young kid in training during this game.
KOF2002 contains pieces of music from older KOFs. Here's a complete list of themes, the teams (or individuals) they belong to and the games they were taken from :
- Tears (Kyo Kusanagi) - "The King of Fighters '99 - Millennium Battle" (Kyo Kusanagi's theme music).
- Kurikinton (Fatal Fury Team) - "Fatal Fury 2" (Terry Bogard's theme music).
- Beauty & The Beast (Art of Fighting Team) - "The King of Fighters 2000" (Art of Fighting Team's theme music).
- Jungle Bouncer (Ikari Team) - "The King of Fighters '94" (Ikari Team's theme music).
- Psycho Soldier (Athena Asamiya) - "Psycho Soldier" (what part of the game?).
- Diet (Gals Fighters Team) - "Art of Fighting 2" (Yuri Sakazaki's theme music).
- Arashi no Saxophone 2 (Iori Team) - "The King of Fighters '96" (Iori Team's theme music).
- Bloody (New Face Team) - "The King of Fighters '97" (New Face Team's theme music).
- KD-0079 (Hero Team) - "The King of Fighters '99 - Millennium Battle" (Hero Team's theme music).
- KD-0084 (2000 Team) - "The King of Fighters 2000" (Hero Team's theme music).
- Seoul ni Ikou (Kim) - "Fatal Fury 2" (Kim theme music).
Scitron Digital Content released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (The King of Fighters 2002 Original Sound Trax - SCDC-00221) on 20/11/2002.
Some known hacks of this game are known as :
- "The King of Fighters 10th Anniversary - All Team Battle"
- "The King of Fighters 10th Anniversary 2005 Unique"
- "The King of Fighters 10th Anniversary Extra Plus"
- "The King of Fighters Special Edition 2004"
- "The King of Fighters 2002 Plus"
- "The King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus"
- "The King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus II"
Leona, Ralph and Clark are playable characters in the Foma 90x Series Mobile Phones game 'Metal Slug Survivors'.
If you put the game in 'Korea territory' via the MVS bios setting, all Korea Team's voices changes.
Tips and tricks
Play as Kusanagi
At the character selection screen, highlight Kyo and press Up, Down, Right, Left, Down, Up, Left, Right.
Orochi Versions of Sherimie, Chris & Yashiro
Just hold down Start on them at the character selection screen. This is better than having to use some power stocks to transform in battle with the normal versions.
Choose Your Winning Pose
To get a specific winning pose, simply press any button just after beating the opponent.
Alternate Costume Colors
All characters have 4 alternate costume colors (by pressing A, B, C or D).
Press and hold Start at the character select screen and push any button (Press any direction on the joystick before pushing the button to select a random team).
- The King of Fighters '94 (1994)
- The King of Fighters '95 (1995)
- The King of Fighters '96 (1996)
- The King of Fighters '97 (1997)
- The King of Fighters '98 - The Slugfest (1998)
- The King of Fighters '99 - Millennium Battle (1999)
- The King of Fighters 2000 (2000)
- The King of Fighters 2001 (2001)
- The King of Fighters 2002 - Challenge to Ultimate Battle (2002)
- The King of Fighters 2003 (2003)
- The King of Fighters NeoWave (2004)
- The King of Fighters Maximum Impact (2004, Sony PlayStation 2)
- The King of Fighters XI (2005)
- The King of Fighters Maximum Impact 2 / The King of Fighters 2006 (2006, Sony PlayStation 2)
- The King of Fighters Maximum Impact - Regulation A (2007)
- The King of Fighters '98 - Ultimate Match (2008)
- The King of Fighters XII (2009)
- Executive Producer
- Jeon Ju Young
- Chil Suk Choi
- Lee Seon Ho
- Demo Designers
- Uri Uri
- M. Ruyun
- Music & Sound Designers
- Tate Norio
- Masahiko Hataya (as WBM M. Hataya)
- Adjusters & Bug Checkers
- 4F01 Kuroemon
- 4F02 Oomae
- C>B K Kuboken
- Yuta Lix Sawad
- Yamachan Rakira
- Main Engineer
- S. Fujinuki
- T. Hayashi
- M. Yusuke
- Seth, Maxima, Benimaru, Billy, Chris, Andy, Mai, Yamazaki, May & Rugal
- C.A.C. Yamasaki
- Ryo, Robert, Vanessa, Kensou & Takuma
- Angel, Kyo, Iori, Kim, Vice & Yashiro
- Athena, Ramon, Joe, Chin, Chang & Choi
- Taku & Takukko
- Leona, Ralf, Clark, Shermie, Whip & Kula
- Italy, Mexico & Nests Stage
- Nobuyuki Kobayashi (as Koba)
- Cambodia & Boss Stage
- Masae M.
- Kyo Kusanagi
- Masahiro Nonaka
- Benimaru Nikaido, Ralf Jones & Choi Bounce
- Monster Maetsuka
- Goro Daimon & Ryo Sakazaki
- Masaki Usui
- Terry Bogard & Kim Kaphwan
- Satoshi Hashimoto
- Andy Bogard
- Keiichi Nanba
- Joe Higashi
- Nobuyuki Hiyama
- Chang Koehan
- Hiroyuki Arita
- Athena Asamiya
- Haruna Ikezawa
- Eiji Yano
- Chin Gentsai
- Toshikazu Nishimura
- Leona & Vice
- Masae Yumi
- Clark Steel
- Yoshinori Shima
- Robert Garcia
- Mantaro Koichi
- Takuma Sakazaki
- Eiji Tsuda
- Mai Shiranui
- Akoya Sogi
- Yuri Sakazaki
- Kaori Horie
- May Lee Jinju
- Tomoko Kawakami
- Iori Yagami
- Kunihiko Yasui
- Hiroko Tsuji
- Koji Ishii
- Blue Mary
- Harumi Ikoma
- Billy Kane
- Atsushi Yamanishi
- Yashiro Nanakase
- Makoto Awane
- Hazuki Nishikawa
- Rio Ogata
- Yuuki Matsuda
- Katsuyuki Konishi
- Shiho Kikuchi
- Kaori Minami
- Hidetoshi Nakamura
- Eiji Takemoto (as Hidehumi Takemoto)
- Kula Diamond
- Yumi Kakazu
- Nozomu Sasaki
- Mayumi Shintani
- Mitsuo Iwata
- Rugal Bernstein
- Norio Wakamoto
- Athena's Friend 1
- Masae Yumi
- Athena's Friend 2
- Hazuki Nishikawa
- Masae Yumi
- Haruna Ikezawa
- Eiji Yano
Cabinet and Artwork
- Sega Dreamcast (2003)
- Sony PlayStation 2 (2003)
- Sony PlayStation 2 (2005, "The King of Fighters 2002 & 2003")
- Microsoft XBOX (2005, "The King of Fighters 2002 & 2003")
|Album Name||Catalogue No.||Released||Publisher||Comments|
|KOF '02 Be the Fighter! Original Sound Trax||SCDC-00221||2002-11-20||Scitron Digital Content||CD version.|
|The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match Original Soundtrack||KDSD-00266~7||2009-02-25||Team Entertainment||2 CD version.|
|KOF 15th Anniversary Special Soundtrack||N/A||2009-07-30||SNK Playmore||CD version.|