Lost In Translation/2020 Super Baseball
|2020 Super Baseball|
|Manufacturer||SNK / Pallas|
68000 (@ 12.000 MHz)
Z80 (@ 4.000 MHz)
YM2610 (@ 8.000 MHz)
320 x 224 pixels
4,096 Palette colours
|ROM Info||20 ROMs|
8,454,144 bytes (8.06 MiB)
|MAME ID||2020bb · 2020bba · 2020bbh|
About The Game
2020 Super Baseball is a futuristic baseball game with humans and robots where you may buy power-ups with the money gained during the matches.
Additional Technical Information
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 4
=> Hitting : [A] Swing/Return to base, [B] Stolen Base/Lead off, [C] Bunt, [D] Time Out
=> Fielding : [A] Pitch/Throw ball/Jump, [B] Base touch/Feint ball, [C] x, [D] Time out
Released in September 1991.
Notable downfalls :
- There is no infield fly rule in this game, which can be used to the advantage of a defender if there are base runners. Double plays and even triple plays are common because of this.
- A base runner cannot begin to steal bases until the pitcher has released the ball. In most baseball video games and in real life, a runner can begin to steal the next base at any time. However, stealing a base beforehand can only be done if you continuously press the steal button right after the screen cuts-back after the batter hit a foul ball, and the pitcher will not even notice you running.
- The 3rd baseman, 2nd baseman, and 1st baseman will not leave the base to retrieve a ball. They will instead stand on the base and wait for another fielder to get the ball, which can sometimes mean they will stand there while the ball rolls inches away from them. The only exception would be if the shortstop covers third or second base for the fielder; then they remain in the stationary position.
- Since the game has semi-automatic fielding, you cannot change which defensive player you want to run after the ball, which means sometimes the pitcher will end up chasing a ball well into the outfield.
- If a ball is hit far enough into the stands, it can sometimes become stuck, allowing the batter to garnish an in the park home run. Because of the reduced home run zone, faster players can often round the bases by hitting the ball up into the fair-zone stands.
- The computer players will always attempt to hit the ball straight, as if trying to hit a home run, no matter what the strength of the batter. This can sometimes give an unfair advantage to you, since they do not try to pull the ball just barely fair in order to get a hit. This has its downfall, in that some powerful players will hit home runs easily.
- You cannot play against a team from the other league.
- If you manage to score more than 100 runs, your score will turn back to zero, as there are only two spaces for your runs. Consequently, if you score 101 runs, and your opponent scores two runs, you will lose the game 01-02.
- You cannot change players positions in the field or line up without replacing them.
- If another player is in your line of path to throw the ball, they will catch the ball after you throw it. This means that if the shortstop retrieves a ground ball just behind 3rd base, then the throw will get cut-off by the 3rd baseman and then the pitcher before the ball gets to 1st base. The pitcher will almost always get in the way, and this can present a problem when trying to pull a double play between third and first or second and home.
Cabinet and Artwork
- Nintendo Super Famicom (1993)
- Sega Mega Drive (1993)
- SNK Neo-Geo CD (1995)