Lost In Translation/Anteater
|Manufacturer||Stern (Tago license)|
|Main CPU||Z80 (@ 3.072 MHz)|
Z80 (@ 1.790 MHz)
(2x) AY-3-8910A (@ 1.790 MHz)
256 x 224 pixels
99 Palette colours
|ROM Info||9 ROMs|
24,608 bytes (24.03 KiB)
|MAME ID||anteater · anteatg · anteatgb|
About The Game
Anteater is a maze game where you play an anteater that elongates his sticky tongue through maze-like anthills eating ants, other bugs and insects.
Licensed to Tago Electronics.
Freddie Morrish holds the record for this game with 219,320 points on October 9, 1983.
Anteater is known in UK as "The Anteater" and in Germany as "Ameisenbaer".
Tips and tricks
- Ants can be killed by moving directly into them, but watch out for your tongue above when you are in the lower part of the anthill. Ants can only be killed by the tip of your tongue, and if they hit the extended part you lose a life.
- Worms cannot be killed head-on, but cause no damage when they hit your extended tongue. You should move down below a worm or wait for it to pass, and then move in to eat it from behind.
- Spiders can only be killed by eating a Queen Ant. This will destroy all insects on the level, removing any imminent danger. Spiders move across the top tunnel of the screen until they reach the middle, and then walk down your tongue, until they reach the tip which causes you to lose a life.
- Try to save eating the Queen Ants for as long as possible, until absolutely necessary to save you from a life-threatening situation.
- Worms often appear at the same time as ants, and this will make killing them difficult. Also, you have to be careful the ants do not hit the tongue. You must move the the row below them and cut round behind them, as eat them both before the ant makes contact with the extended part of the tongue.
- Designed And Programmed By
- Chris Oberth
Cabinet and Artwork
- Atari 2600 (1983)
- Commodore C64 (1986, "Aardvark")