Lost In Translation/Wonder Boy in Monster Land
|Wonder Boy in Monster Land|
|Manufacturer||Sega / Westone|
|Main CPU||(3x) Z80 (@ 4.000 MHz)|
Z80 (@ 4.000 MHz)
SN76489A (@ 2.000 MHz)
SN76489A (@ 4.000 MHz)
256 x 224 pixels
1,536 Palette colours
|ROM Info||16 ROMs|
369,664 bytes (361.00 KiB)
|MAME ID||wbml · wbmlb · wbmljb · wbmljo|
About The Game
Wonder Boy in Monster Land is an horizontally scrolling arcade video game.
Use your sword to fight monsters and defeat the Dragon. Collect gold to upgrade your boots, shield and armour, and defeat bosses to strengthen your sword. Most stages include a boss, that once defeated leaves behind a key to the next stage.
Additional Technical Information
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 2 (STAB, JUMP)
A bootleg of this game was made by Galaxy Electronics in England.
Tips And Tricks
Hidden Gold Coins
This game has hidden coins that appear when you jump in certain spots. The demo screen shows a couple of these. Some of them will give you 60 gold or more every time.
Besides the general strategy of quickly wiggling the joystick right and left while jumping (which raises the chance to get 60+ golds), certain coins, in certain places within the game, will ALWAYS yield 60+ golds if you perform particular actions :
- Round 2 : On the screen after you kill the Vampire, there's a platform with a Shoe Shop and some stairs which lead downwards to an Infirmary. Wait for the little mushroom to go down the stairs, and stand so that you are almost off the topmost stair. The mushroom will come back up and hit you, making you fall off the stairs. Hold the joystick to the left so that when you land you walk into the bottom step. This will drop a 60+ coin. NOTE: This trick only works if you haven't bought any shoes yet.
- Round 3 : On the stage after you kill the Red Knight, you'll see some jellyfishes on platforms over the water. At the first jellyfish you come to, wait for it to drop into the water, then lean out of the platform putting yourself on its trajectory. The jellyfish will hit you, and you'll get a 60+ golds bag. NOTE: This trick is shown during the attract mode.
- Round 3 (Baraboro) : Climb the ladder to the platform where the Shield Shop and Catherine's window are located. Once you're atop the ladder, let the mouse hit you. You'll fall leftwards, triggering a 60+ golds bag.
- Round 6 (Pyramid) : Beneath the platform where the Infirmary is located, there are some spikes. Approach the spikes as much as possible, then hit jump and fire at the same time, and keep hitting them every time you land. Some coins will start to fall from the platform and head towards you. If you'll keep a pace as much regular as possible, many of those coins will yield 60+ golds.
- Wonder Boy (1986)
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land (1987)
- Wonder Boy III - Monster Lair (1988)
- Wonder Boy IV - Monster World II (Sega Mega Drive)
- Wonder Boy V - Monster World III (1991, Sega Mega Drive)
- Monster World IV (1994, Sega Mega Drive)
- Ryuichi Nishizawa
- Michishito Ishizuka
- Character Produce
- Naoki Hoshizaki
- Music Compose
- Shin-ichi Sakamoto
- Character Design
- Hiromi Suzuko
- Rie Ishizuka (aka Rie Yatomi)
- Special Thanks
- Kohta Kikuchi
- K. Kiyokawaanzu
- Ryuichi Nishizawa
- Sega Master System (1988)
- NEC PC-Engine (1988)
- Sinclair ZX Spectrum (1989)
- Commodore C64 (1989)
- Amstrad CPC (1989)
- Atari ST (1989)
- Commodore Amiga ("Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land", 1989, Activision)
|Album Name||Catalogue No.||Released||Publisher||Comments|
|Legend of Game Music 2 ~Platinum Box~||SCDC-00473~82||2006-01-18||Scitron Digital Contents||8 CD version.|
|SEGA Arcade 80's Vol. 2||SCDC-00252||2003-03-19||Scitron Digital Content||CD version.|
|MONSTER WORLD COMPLETE COLLECTION ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK||WM-0565~6||2007-03-08||Wave Master||2 CD version.|