Lost In Translation/WWF Superstars
|Main CPU||68000 (@ 10.000 MHz)|
Z80 (@ 3.580 MHz)
YM2151 (@ 3.580 MHz)
OKI6295 (@ 1.122 MHz)
256 x 240 pixels
384 Palette colours
|ROM Info||47 ROMs|
3,309,568 bytes (3.16 MiB)
|MAME ID||wwfsstar · wwfsstaa · wwfsstaj · wwfsstau|
About The Game
WWF Superstars is one-on-one arcade video tag-team wrestling game with 6 WWF superstars to choose from.
Additional Technical Information
Players : 2
Control : 8-way Joystick
Buttons : 2 (PUNCH, KICK)
Released in July 1989.
You can choose from the following 6 wrestlers : Hulk Hogan, Randy 'Macho Man' Savage, The Ultimate Warrior, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Big Boss Man and The Honky Tonk Man. If you manage to win the first three games you finally face André the Giant and 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase.
Andre and DiBiase have the only submission manoeuvres in the game - The Canadian Backbreaker and The Million Dollar Dream Sleeperhold respectively. Both moves do a lot of damage, taking up 5 life squares unless your partner can rescue you from the hold.
Billy Lee, the main character of the "Double Dragon" series, is visible among the first row of the cheering crowd.
The game also features appearances from Virgil (the manager of Andre and DiBiase), 'Mean' Gene Okerlund (the announcer) and Miss Elizabeth (1960-2003) who appears in a cut-scene when you win the tag team titles.
- Wrestler's real names
- Hulk Hogan - Terry Bollea
- Randy Savage - Randall Poffo
- The Ultimate Warrior - Warrior (born Jim Hellwig but legally changed his name to Warrior in 1993)
- 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan - James Duggan
- The Big Boss Man - Ray Traylor (1962-2004)
- Honky Tonk Man - Wayne Farris
- Andre The Giant - Andre Roussimoff (1946-1993)
- Ted DiBiase - Theodore DiBiase
At the time of the game's release, the actual WWF Tag Team Champions were The Brain Busters (Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard) who are absent from the game. DiBiase and Andre (known as The Mega Bucks), never won the tag teams titles.
Also at the time of release, 'Ravishing' Rick Rude (1958-1999) was the WWF Intercontinental Champion but he too is absent from the game.
The US version is slightly different, it has the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen.
Tips and tricks
Randy Savage Glitch
There's a mildly amusing glitch in WWF Superstars involving Randy Savage. Use him & then pick anyone else and play until you face Andre and DiBiase: -
- With Savage as your active wrestler and Andre as the legal man, climb in and out of the bottom of the ring until Andre decides to climb out after you. When you begin to see those first few animation frames of his lumbering descent, quickly walk backwards to the left side of the screen.
- Dash at Andre so that the instant his final animation frame has him standing on the ring floor you'll have connected with a flying clothesline. For a second, you will have 'pulled' an additional Andre out of the standing Andre's body with that flying clothesline! The standing Andre vanishes once the clothesline has taken its course and the prostrate Andre then becomes the active sprite.
Cabinet and Artwork
- Nintendo Game Boy (1991)