Lost In Translation/After Burner II
|After Burner II|
|Main CPU||(2x) 68000 (@ 12.500 MHz)|
Z80 (@ 4.000 MHz)
YM2151 (@ 4.000 MHz)
Sega PCM (@ 4.000 MHz)
320 x 224 pixels
24,576 Palette colours
|ROM Info||28 ROMs|
3,342,336 bytes (3.19 MiB)
|MAME ID||aburner2 · aburner|
- 1 About The Game
- 2 Cabinet and Artwork
- 3 Ports
- 4 Soundtrack Releases
- 5 Screen Shot Comparison
- 6 Sound Comparison
- 7 External Links
- 8 References
About The Game
After Burner and its immediate sequel After Burner II are chase-view, arcade video game shoot-em-ups.
Another Sega game rendered with their then-ubiquitous 3-D sprite-scaling technology; this time putting the player into the seat of a powerful F14 Tomcat jet fighter.
Players must fight their way through 21 colourful, fast-moving stages, shooting down waves of enemy fighters while avoiding the enemy's incoming missiles. The F14 is equipped with a machine gun and a limited number of homing missiles. The gun has infinite ammunition and targeting is achieved by maneuvering the Tomcat so that the targeting cursor situated just in front of the jet is placed over an enemy fighter.
To deploy missiles, the player must first 'lock-on' to the target, a sound will indicate that the lock has taken place and missiles should then be fired, these will home in on and destroy the locked-on enemy fighter.
Missile stocks are replenished at the end of every 2nd stage, either by the appearance of a large support plane that automatically links up with the player's jet fighter, or by landing on a military airstrip - which again happens automatically.
After Burner's straightforward shoot-em-up gameplay is simple and repetitive, but the game's incredible visuals ensured its success.
After Burner was released on July 17, 1987 in Japan. After Burner II was released in October 1987.
After Burner II was originally planned to have a World War II theme and be a realistic flight sim, but the idea was dropped because Yu Suzuki stated that 'it would not have fit the arcade scene.' A pure dogfighter was not his intention.
After Burner II is essentially the same game as "After Burner", but there are a few differences, mainly the fact that it is possible to control your plane speed.
In the cut-scenes that show your jet fighter landing on a landing strip in order to reload the missile supply, there are some special vehicles that will make a cameo appearance. In the first landing, you'll see a man riding the motorcycle from "Hang-On". and in the second landing, you'll see the famous Ferrari Testarossa-like car from "Out Run".
David Hernly holds the record for this game with 2,215,620 points on June 1, 2008.
An After Burner II unit appears in the 1991 movie 'Terminator 2 - Judgment Day'.
Tips and Tricks
- Secret Commands : On the following stages, press the following keys to get the following effects.
- During Demo - press Start + Vulcan Cannon + Missile + Foto sensor and stick Right to get a DUKE message.
- Stage 1 - press Start + Vulcan Cannon + Missile, to get a messages.
- Stage 3 - press Start and speed fast to get 100 Missiles.
- Stage 5 - press Start + Vulcan Cannon + Missile, to get a message.
- Stage 9 - press Vulcan Cannon + Missile and stick Right to get 100 Missiles.
- Stage 11 - press Vulcan Cannon + Missile and stick Left to get 50,000,000 pts.
- Stage 13 - press Start + Vulcan Cannon + Missile and stick Left to get a message.
- Stage 16 - press Start and stick down to get a message.
- Stage 19 - press Start to get a message.
- Stage 21 - press Start + Vulcan Cannon + Missile + Foto sensor and stick Up to get 250,000,000 pts.
- Stage 23 - press Start + Vulcan Cannon + Missile + Foto sensor to get a message.
- After Burner (1987)
- After Burner II (1987)
- G-Loc - Air Battle (1990)
- R360 - G-Loc Air Battle (1990)
- Strike Fighter (1991)
- Sky Target (1995)
- Sega Strike Fighter (2000)
- After Burner Climax (2006)
- After Burner - Black Falcon (2007, Sony PSP)
- Yu Suzuki (YU.)
- Satoshi Mifune
- Hiroshi Miyauchi (HIR)
- Bin Chan (BIN)
Cabinet and Artwork
- [AB1] Sega Mark III (JP, 1987, "After Burner [Model G-1340]")
- [AB2] Nintendo Famicom (JP, 1989, "After Burner [Model SS13-6200]")
- [AB2] Nintendo NES (US, 1989, "After Burner [Model TGN-011-AB]")
- [AB2] Sega Mega Drive (JP, 1990, "After Burner II [Model T-17013]")
- [AB2] NEC PC-Engine (JP, 1990, "After Burner II [Model NAPH-1011]")
- [AB2] Sega Super 32X (JP, 1995, "After Burner Complete [Model GM-4006]")
- [AB2] Sega Super 32X (US, 1995, "After Burner [Model 84507]")
- [AB2] Sega Super 32X (EU, 1995, "After Burner Complete [Model 84507-50]")
- [AB2] Sega Saturn (JP, 1996, "After Burner II [Sega Ages] [Model GS-9109]")
- [AB2] Sega Dreamcast (JP, 2001, "Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol.1 [Model ASP001]")
- [AB2] Sony PlayStation 2 (JP, 2004, "After Burner II [Sega Ages 2500 Vol.10] [Model SLPM-62446]")
- [AB2] FM Towns PC (1987, "After Burner")
- [AB2] Commodore C64 (1988)
- [AB2] Atari ST (1988)
- [AB2] Amstrad CPC (EU, 1988)
- [AB2] MSX (EU, 1988)
- [AB2] Commodore Amiga ("After Burner", 1988, Activision)
- [AB2] Commodore Amiga ("After Burner", 1989, Sega)
- [AB2] Commodore Amiga (1990, "Amiga Champions")
- [AB2] Sinclair ZX Spectrum (1989)
- [AB2] Sharp X68000 (JP, 1989, "After Burner [Model DP-3205010]")
- [AB2] PC [MS-DOS, 3.5" Disks] (US, 1989, "After Burner")
- [AB2] Commodore C64 (1990, "100% Dynamite")
- [AB2] Sinclair ZX Spectrum (1990, "100% Dynamite")
- [AB2] LCD handheld game (1989, Tiger Electronics)
- [AB2] LCD tabletop game (1989, Tiger Electronics) : 18 different levels of play.
|Album Name||Catalogue No.||Released||Publisher||Comments|
|After Burner||PCCB-00032||1990-06-21||Pony Canyon, Inc.||CD version.|
|Super Sonic Team -G.S.M. SEGA 3-||PCCB-00009||1989-10-29||Pony Canyon||CD version.|
|Mega Selection -G.S.M. SEGA-||PCCB-00014||1989-12-15||Pony Canyon, Inc.||CD version.|
|S.S.T. Band Live! -G.S.M. SEGA-||PCCB-00042||1990-10-31||Pony Canyon||CD version.|
|Sega Game Music Vol.3 After Burner||28XA-109||1987-10-10||Alfa Records||CD version.|
|Galaxy Force -G.S.M. SEGA 1-||D28B-0002||1988-07-21||Pony Canyon Inc.||CD version.|
|Sega Taikan Game Special||28XA-198||1987-12-21||Alfa Records||CD version.|
|SING!! SEGA Game Music presented by B.B. Queens||BVRR-1||1992-07-26||BMG Victor||CD version.|
|Sega Ages Sound Track the Best Plus||KDSD-00051~2||2004-10-20||TEAM ENTERTAINMENT||2 CD version.|
|Game Sound Legend Arrange Series - Speed & Wind||SCDC-00375||2004-11-17||Scitron Digital Content||CD version.|
|Back in the S.S.T. Band!! ~The Very Best~||SCDC-00312||2003-11-19||Scitron Digital Content Inc.||CD version.|
|CLUB SEGA||MJCA-00003||1997-10-17||Marvelous Entertainment||CD version.|
|Segacon -The Best of Sega Game Music- Vol.1||SVWC-7092~4||2001-10-24||SME Visual Works||3 CD version.|
|Beep! Sega Megadrive Best Selection||PSCX-1018||1991-04-25||DATAM Polystar||CD version.|
|Sega Game Music Vol.3 After Burner||ALC-22915||1987-10-10||ALFA RECORDS||Cassette version.|
|Sega Game Music Vol.3 After Burner||ALR-22915||1987-10-10||ALFA RECORDS||Vinyl version.|
|Sega Game Music Vol.3 After Burner||SCDC-00056||2000-12-20||Scitron Digital Content Inc.||CD version.|
|Sega Taikan Game Special||ALC-28096||1987-12-21||Alfa Records||Cassette version.|
|Galaxy Force -G.S.M. SEGA 1-||25P5-0002||1988-07-21||Pony Canyon Inc.||Cassette version.|
|STORM! - SHOOTING GAME SOUND OMNIBUS Vol.2||KDSD-00023||2004-01-07||Team Entertainment||CD version.|
|Yu-Suzuki produce After Burner II||MJCAX-00007||1997-12-17||Marvelous Entertainment, Inc.||CD version.|
|AFTER BURNER 20th Anniversary Box||WM-0581~6||2007-11-29||Wavemaster Inc.||6 CD version.|
|Extra ~Official Compilation~||VGCD-0087||2007-06-22||Five Records||CD version.|
|Game Music Festival Live, Summer '93 ~OFFICIAL BOOTLEG CASSETTE~||N/A||1993-01-01||Pony Canyon/Scitron||Cassette version.|
|S.S.T. Band Live!||PCVP-10405||1990-11-21||Pony Canyon||Released on VHS.|
|S.S.T. Band ~Live History~||SDDV-00035||2006-09-20||Happinet Corporation||Released on DVD.|
|Scitron 10th Anniversary Special CD Sampler||DMCZ-300098||1998-01-01||Scitron Label||2 CD version.|
|Galaxy Force -G.S.M. SEGA 1-||C22B-0002||1988-07-21||Pony Canyon||Vinyl version.|
|Beep Special Project - BEST GAME MUSIC SELECTION||N/A||1987-11-01||Softbank Publishing||Vinyl version.|
|GS SELECTION - GS Club Special Project||N/A||1988-03-01||Softbank Publishing||Double vinyl version.|
|Violin de Hiitemita ep2 ~ Maou no Gyakushuu / Scream no Hito||SRIN-1063||2009-09-02||SuperSweep||CD version.|
|Mega Selection -G.S.M. SEGA-||PCTB-00003||1989-12-15||Pony Canyon||Cassette version.|
|After Burner Original Sound Tracks||N/A||2007-11-29||Sega||Digital version.|
|Sunsoft Music Collection Vol.2||WM-0670~2||2011-10-12||Wavemaster||3 CD version.|
|SEGA Sound Unit [H.] 1st Album||WM-0669||2011-12-21||Wavemaster||CD version.|
|Blind Spot Live!||ATDV-299||2013-02-27||Atoss International||DVD version.|
|Sega SG-1000 30th Anniversary Collection||WM-0703~6||2013-02-27||Wavemaster||4 CD version.|
Screen Shot Comparison
As well the attract mode images further below, the original arcade version had an impressive vector ball sequence which showed a rotating Roman numeral I which is then hit by missiles and explodes off-screen and implodes back into a Roman numeral II. This eventually rotates into place behind the After Burner logo which is also rotating!
Attract Mode Screen
Game Start Screen
The game begins by zooming into an aircraft carrier launch deck with your jet on board. Your jet then launches into the air and straight into Stage 1. Forget about blinking from this point onwards!
Dog Fight Screen
Ammunition Reload Screen
The aerial reload of ammunition was an automated section that gave you a few seconds to regain your eyesight before the next Stage!
A bonus animation that didn't exist in the first version of the game which features two refuelling landing strips to give your poor eyesight another well-earned break. During these sections, you are visited by the Hang-On motorcyclist on his bike and the Our Run Ferrari.
There are two canyon sections, which represent the only time you can interact with the landscape. Whilst you navigate your way through, there are also targets to fire at.
Game Complete Screen
On completion of Stage 22, the next area is the end sequence where you automatically fly back to the aircraft carrier and land back on the launch deck.
|Platform||Song Titles||Sound Source|
|Arcade||"Maximum Power"||"Final Take Off"||"Red Out"||"Super Stripe"||"After Burner"||MAME 0.125|
After Burner II
|Platform||Song Titles||Sound Source|
|Arcade||"Maximum Power"||"Final Take Off"||"Red Out"||"Super Stripe"||"After Burner"||"City 202"||M1 v0.7.8a6|
- After Burner (CD) at the VGMdb
- Super Sonic Team -G.S.M. SEGA 3- (CD) at the VGMdb
- Mega Selection -G.S.M. SEGA- (CD) at the VGMdb
- S.S.T. Band Live! -G.S.M. SEGA- (CD) at the VGMdb
- Sega Game Music Vol.3 After Burner (CD) at the VGMdb
- Galaxy Force -G.S.M. SEGA 1- (CD) at the VGMdb
- Sega Taikan Game Special (CD) at the VGMdb
- SING!! SEGA Game Music presented by B.B. Queens (CD) at the VGMdb
- Sega Ages Sound Track the Best Plus (CD) at the VGMdb
- Game Sound Legend Arrange Series - Speed & Wind (CD) at the VGMdb
- Back in the S.S.T. Band!! ~The Very Best~ (CD) at the VGMdb
- CLUB SEGA (CD) at the VGMdb
- Segacon -The Best of Sega Game Music- Vol.1 (CD) at the VGMdb
- Beep! Sega Megadrive Best Selection (CD) at the VGMdb
- Sega Game Music Vol.3 After Burner (Cassette) at the VGMdb
- Sega Game Music Vol.3 After Burner (Vinyl) at the VGMdb
- Sega Game Music Vol.3 After Burner (CD) at the VGMdb
- Sega Taikan Game Special (Cassette) at the VGMdb
- Galaxy Force -G.S.M. SEGA 1- (Cassette) at the VGMdb
- STORM! - SHOOTING GAME SOUND OMNIBUS Vol.2 (CD) at the VGMdb
- Yu-Suzuki produce After Burner II (CD) at the VGMdb
- AFTER BURNER 20th Anniversary Box (CD) at the VGMdb
- Extra ~Official Compilation~ (CD) at the VGMdb
- Game Music Festival Live, Summer '93 ~OFFICIAL BOOTLEG CASSETTE~ (Cassette) at the VGMdb
- S.S.T. Band Live! (VHS) at the VGMdb
- S.S.T. Band ~Live History~ (DVD) at the VGMdb
- Scitron 10th Anniversary Special CD Sampler (CD) at the VGMdb
- Galaxy Force -G.S.M. SEGA 1- (Vinyl) at the VGMdb
- Beep Special Project - BEST GAME MUSIC SELECTION (Vinyl) at the VGMdb
- GS SELECTION - GS Club Special Project (Vinyl) at the VGMdb
- Violin de Hiitemita ep2 ~ Maou no Gyakushuu / Scream no Hito (CD) at the VGMdb
- Mega Selection -G.S.M. SEGA- (Cassette) at the VGMdb
- After Burner Original Sound Tracks (Digital) at the VGMdb
- Sunsoft Music Collection Vol.2 (CD) at the VGMdb
- SEGA Sound Unit [H. 1st Album (CD)] at the VGMdb
- Blind Spot Live! (DVD) at the VGMdb
- Sega SG-1000 30th Anniversary Collection (CD) at the VGMdb