Lost In Translation/Commando
|Main CPU||Z80 (@ 4.000 MHz)|
Z80 (@ 3.000 MHz)
(2x) YM2203 (@ 1.500 MHz)
256 x 224 pixels
256 Palette colours
|ROM Info||22 ROMs|
280,064 bytes (273.50 KiB)
|MAME ID||commando · commandj · commandu · sinvasn · sinvasnb|
About The Game
Commando is a vertically scrolling, arcade video game shoot-em-up in which the player takes on the role of a highly trained commando soldier. The mission is to rescue captives and destroy enemy bases and strongholds, killing as many enemy soldiers as possible in the process. The commando carries only 2 weapons : a limited-range machine gun with unlimited shots, and a limited supply of hand grenades. Extra grenades can be picked up as the player progresses through the levels.
Released in May 1985.
Licensed to Data East for US manufacture and distribution (July 1985). Commando was the first (and the only) game that Capcom licensed to Data East.
This game is known in Japan as "Senjou no Ookami" (translates as 'Battlefield of the Wolf') and is known as "Space Invasion" for the West German marketplace.
Tim Balderramos holds the official record for this game with 10,051,200 points on July 5, 1986.
Bandai released a boardgame based on this video game (same name) : A simple roll-and-move type game, with symbols on the board indicating what happens when you land on that spot. There are multiple choices on which direction to go, but not too much in the way of required thinking. There are many different boards that you progress through, each 'board' representing one 'stage' of the game.
Alfa Records released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Capcom Game Music - 28XA-94) on 25/08/1986.
Tips and tricks
- The arch bridge is a dangerous spot so watch for grenade attacks from above. Be careful of trucks and jeeps that may try to run over you. Do not fall into rivers or ponds. Trees, walls and other obstacles may be used for cover.
- Here's a good way to kill enemy soldiers without going anywhere near them : at the end of each area, when the enemy soldiers are pouring out of the gate from their compound, move your commando to the bottom of the screen and shoot down. Your shots will come down from the top of the screen, killing the soldiers as they come out of the gate.
- This tip will let you rack up big points and all the extra men you can : on the first stage, there is a cliff on the right-hand side of the screen. The enemy troops will jump off the end of this cliff and attack you. If you walk until the enemy troops START jumping off, and then stop, you can just stand there and keep killing them until you either get sick of playing or reach the maximum amount of extra men the game allows. If you plan on playing through the rest of the game you should stop as soon as you reach the maximum amount of extra men, as the longer you just sit there, the harder and faster the enemies become, making the rest of the game substantially more difficult.
- Commando (1985)
- Mercs (1990)
- Commando 3 (2007, XBOX 360 - "XBLA", Playstation 3 - "PSN")
- Designed By
- Tokuro Fujiwara
- Music By
- Tamayo Kawamoto
Cabinet and Artwork
- Nintendo Famicom (1986)
- Mattel Intellivision (1987)
- Atari 2600 (1988)
- Atari 7800 (1989)
- Sony PlayStation (1998, "Capcom Generation 4")
- Sony PlayStation (1998, "Capcom Generations - Blazing Guns")
- Sega Saturn (1998, "Capcom Generation 4")
- Sony PlayStation 2 (2005, "Capcom Classics Collection")
- Microsoft XBOX (2005, "Capcom Classics Collection")
- Sony PSP (2006, "Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded")
- Commodore C64 (1985)
- Amstrad CPC (1985)
- PC [Booter] (1986)
- Sinclair ZX Spectrum (1986)
- Commodore 16 (1986)
- Commodore Plus/4 (1986)
- Apple II (1987)
- Atari ST (1989)
- Commodore Amiga ("Commando, 1989, Elite)
- PC [CD-ROM] (1999, "Capcom Arcade Hits 3") (also includes PDA version for HP/Compaq iPaq Pocket PC's.)
|Album Name||Catalogue No.||Released||Publisher||Comments|
|C64 ORCHESTRA - RUN 10||7 121361 302329||2007-11-12||productiehuis Oost-Nederland (ON), Rounder Europe||2 CD version.|
|Instant Remedy||IR01||2002-01-01||High Technology Publishing Ltd.||CD version.|
|The Best Of AY-3-8912||CZCD 005||2007-07-12||Binary Zone Interactive||CD version.|
|Commodore 64 PD Music Mix 1||CZCD 011||2007-07-13||Binary Zone Interactive||2 CD version.|
|This Time It's WAR!||CZCD 014||2007-07-13||Binary Zone Interactive||CD version.|
|Arcade Ambiance 1986||N/A||2004-08-27||Andy Hofle||Digital download only.|