Lost In Translation/Space Invaders DX
|Space Invaders DX|
|Main CPU||68000 (@ 12.000 MHz)|
Z80 (@ 4.000 MHz)
YM2610 (@ 8.000 MHz)
320 x 224 pixels
4,096 Palette colours
|ROM Info||12 ROMs|
2,164,497 bytes (2.06 MiB)
|MAME ID||spacedx · spacedxj · spacedxo · spcinvdj|
About The Game
Space Invaders DX is an arcade video game shoot-em-up.
A modern and fitting tribute to Taito's 1978 seminal shoot-em-up, "Space Invaders".
There are now 3 different game modes to choose from. These include a faithful recreation of the legendary original - available in both upright and cocktail versions - and replete with a simulation of the infamous "coloured plastic overlay" that was used to add the impression of full colour graphics to the original game.
The 2 remaining game modes are 'Versus', with simultaneous split-screen 2-player action, and "Parody", which features characters and graphics from other well-known Taito games, such as "The New Zealand Story", "Bubble Bobble" and "Liquid Kids". Despite the graphical changes, the Parody version plays identically to the original game, and all modes retain the original, legendary sound effects.
Released in September 1994.
This game runs originally on the Taito B System hardware, but there is also an alternate version of this game released on Taito F3 System hardware (Game ID : D93).
In 'Parody Game Mode', a LOT of characters taken from early Taito games appear at each level, here is the list :
- Level 1 - Characters from "The New Zealand Story".
- Level 2 - Characters from "The Fairyland Story".
- Level 3 - Characters from "Bubble Bobble".
- Level 4 - Characters from "Rainbow Islands - The Story of Bubble Bobble 2".
- Level 5 - Characters from "Mizubaku Adventure".
- Level 6 - Characters from "Arkanoid".
- Level 7 - Characters from "KiKiKaiKai".
- Level 8 - Characters from "Darius".
- Level 9 - Characters from "Don Doko Don".
- Revision 1
- Software version : 2.0.
- Japanese release only.
- Revision 2
- Software version : 2.1.
- Japanese and American release (The US version has the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen).
- Added 'Configuration' menu and 'Factory setting' option in the operator menu.
- Revision 3
- Taito F3 System hardware.
- Software version : 2.6.
- Japanese release only.
- Space Invaders (1978)
- Space Invaders Deluxe (1979)
- Return of the Invaders (1985)
- Majestic Twelve - The Space Invaders Part IV (1990)
- Space Invaders DX (1994)
- Space Invaders '95 - The Attack of Lunar Loonies (1995)
- Space Invaders Virtual Collection (1995, Nintendo Virtual Boy)
- Space Invaders Anniversary (2003)
- Space Invaders Evolution (2005, Sony PSP)
- Space Invaders Revolution (2005, Nintendo DS)
- Space Invaders Extreme (2008, Nintendo DS, Sony PSP)
Cabinet and Artwork
- Super SNES (1994, "Space Invaders - The Original Game")
- Sony PlayStation 2 (2005, "Taito Memories Vol. 1")
- Microsoft XBOX (2006, "Taito Legends 2")
- Sony PlayStation 2 (2006, "Taito Legends 2")
- PC [CD-ROM] (2006, "Taito Legends 2")